Timing euthanasia, family and vet joint descision issue.

I think you need to do what's best for her. We have been in a situation with one of our Dachshunds, her back went out for the third time and this was the worst time. I didn't want to put her down, I was being selfish because I wanted her to stay around and not go anywhere. I didn't even think about what type of life she would have, I just didn't want to loose her. My mom and I finally talked it over, keeping her around would do nothing for her. She would suffer more and putting her down was the best thing for her. I'm not glad we had to put her down, I'm just glad she is not in pain anymore. I miss her all the time but I know it was best for her. It's hard loosing a pet since they become such parts of our lives, but if it's time then it's time. I think about all the fun times we had with Roxy and I'm happy for those times we got to spend with her. We need to take care of our animals and do what needs to be done. Just my two cents!
hugs.gif
It's hard now but I swear things will get better. Whatever decision you and your family make will be the right one. ♥

Oh, I feel so bad for you, especially that it did not go smoothly. I know how that is, had un-smooth euthanasias with several of my animals over the years (different vet and different reason each time).

In particular, my hyperthyroid cat who had to be put down a year and a half ago was so thin and dehydrated that it took the vet *literally* 20 minutes of poking to find a useable vein, and then (I think because of wanting not to prolong the suffering further) did exactly what your vet did, inject the euthanasia solution directly without a sedative first. I too was taken completely off guard and did not get to say what I wanted to, to my kitty, before she was suddenly gone. But, <helpless shrug>, what can you do. I had eleven years and change to say things to her before that; I think that counts too.

All I can say is, sometimes you don't get your pick of "best way for things to happen". I think animals know this, in fact I'm not sure it would ever *occur* to one of them to feel unfairly treated by Fate in this sort of situation. It just is what it is. And like me and my kitty, you loved your dog and you gave her a very good life and she's at peace now.

Great big hug,

Pat

Last edited:
My sympathies to everyone who has had to have a pet euthanized, which is probably most of us. It's the last, greatest responsibility we have to our beloved pets. Woodland Woman thank-you for posting and sharing your experience.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom