Tiny 3 week old chick

Melissa2173

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Springfield, Georgia
About a week ago I posted a question about one of my barred rock chicks being very small. She is 3 weeks old now and is the size of a 2-3 day old and doesn't seem to be getting bigger. I see her eating and drinking and she acts normal. The chicks I got with her are at least 4 times her size. The responses I received were that maybe she is a dwarf/runt and will eventually catch up. I'm worried about her getting trampled by the other girls as they are so much bigger. Should I separate her from the rest? I hate to do this as I don't want her to be alone but I also don't want her getting injured. This is my first time raising chickens so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure if your chick has the same problems as another BYC member's chick or not but you should read this just in case.
Meet Nan.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=492333&p=1

Edited to say:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I had a tiny one in our last hatch. I figured she wouldn't make it because she was so slow growing/feathering. I kept her with her much bigger siblings. I did keep an extra close watch to make sure she wasn't being bullied. Twice I brought her in for extra feedings at night while everyone else was sleeping. I stopped worrying about her when she was the first to fly and roost. She got good at dodging feet and was always the middle of the sleeping pile. Now I have to go through it again. They are all about the same size as the rest of my flock - except her. So I am in the process of integrating them with the flock and once again I have to worry about her - she is still about 1/3 the size of the rest of my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom