Tiny bugs

basquem

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
I did a lot of work in the chicken coop this morning and was handling my chickens. Came inside and felt like my skin was crawling. I keep finding these very tiny bugs. They don’t appear to be jumping or flying. Any idea what they are or what I do about them? Chickens seem fine, but I doubt I could see these on them, they are so small.

Attachments

• 4C97DC6D-29F5-408F-A4BD-C5BBB05BC8A7.jpeg
    4C97DC6D-29F5-408F-A4BD-C5BBB05BC8A7.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 182
Definitely mites. They got bigger and I could see them all over the coop at night. Cleaning out the coop today and as soon as I started digging around in the bedding I found them everywhere!!!
Coop is empty, rinsed down and waiting on the first coat of white wash to dry. Then one more coat, new bedding, more lime, and some spray. Fingers crossed!!

Use permethrin. It works great. Nothing will kill the mites eggs so weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks thoroughly spraying the inside of the coop every crack and crevice where the mites can hide, everywhere. You can also buy the premixed sprays. I use the concentrate. I also use poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 46
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 100

Back
Top Bottom