TINY "DWARF" SILKIE!

Debbie Holcomb

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2021
Please see the attached picture of my FOUR week old Silkie, "Tiny!" She is in a brooder with 6 ONE week old Silkie chicks, along with another of the 4 week old Silkie chicks that were bought and raised right in the same brooder along with Tiny and 15 other of their "chick-mates!"

As you can see, Tiny is literally the same size as the 1 week olds, even though she is a couple days older than 4 weeks! You can see the incredible size difference!!!

My questions are:
* Is Tiny ever going to grow?
* Is she going to be healthy?
* Is she what is referred to as the Dwarf Silkie?
* Should I just keep her indoors as just a pet? Will she ever be healthy enough to put out with the other Silkies?

She seems to eat and drink just fine, but she does have some difficulty keeping her balance. She doesn't fall, but she does have to re-adjust her footing often, as if she's kind of "off balance." I don't know if it's balance problems or brain issues???

She loves to sit on my shoulder or lap! She seems to know who I am. She goes right to sleep, if I stroke her chest with my finger, or if I stroke her side (with my face) by nodding my head up and down slowly. She leans right into my face, and goes right to sleep! I think she's at least some brain function!

Thank you

Attachments

• 20230324_103956.jpg
    20230324_103956.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 896
  • 20230325_153957.jpg
    20230325_153957.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 19
I had a duckling like that many years ago. When she reached the age of 16 weeks she finally started growing normally and by the time she was seven months old she was the size of the others.
If she seems healthy and chipper, she should be fine.
This is quite interesting! Pleas keep us updated!

I would try treating her for possible coccidiosis with Corid in the water. She may be a runt or failure to thrive, but coccidiosis could make her not absorb nutrients.

Oh, we seem to have the same issue! I have an almost five week old silkie who is also tiny! They're doing really well, besides being so small, so I'm hopeful it's not serious. How is Tiny doing?

This is my chick, Harlow:

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_200928.jpg
    IMG_20230419_200928.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom