TINY EGG!!!

Thanks for all your help guys.Guess it was just a test run! She is a black silkie so she doesnt't layvery big eggs in the first place!

One of my girls laid a tiny egg this week. It freaked me out, but I got right on here and saw all the threads saying it's normal. THANKS BYC! They are a little more than a year old, I think (I got them from CHURP rescue in Atlanta). They are usually great layers, every day, thank you ladies!

Everyone on here seems to call these tiny eggs "fart eggs," but another site I saw called them "fairy eggs" -- I like that better!

It's a sweet little egg, very dark brown. I don't want to crack it....is there a way to preserve these? Blow them out?

One of my girls laid a tiny egg this week. It freaked me out, but I got right on here and saw all the threads saying it's normal. THANKS BYC! They are a little more than a year old, I think (I got them from CHURP rescue in Atlanta). They are usually great layers, every day, thank you ladies!

Everyone on here seems to call these tiny eggs "fart eggs," but another site I saw called them "fairy eggs" -- I like that better!

It's a sweet little egg, very dark brown. I don't want to crack it....is there a way to preserve these? Blow them out?
Yes, you can blow out the egg and save the shell. I did that with all my chicken's 1st egg! They are so cute! I poked a hole in each end of the egg and blew out the yolk with a straw...that's all. Its nice to be able to compare their eggs as they grow larger!

Last edited:
Mine just laid a tiny egg today too, this is what I found about it; "Awww, isn't that cute! Tiny, yolkless eggs are sometimes known as witch eggs or fairy eggs. Occasionally a hen will lay a fairy egg when something has disturbed her reproductive cycle. Sometimes a hen will lay a fairy egg or two just as she comes into laying, before her reproductive system has gotten into gear. They are sometimes lighter or darker than her regular eggs because they may spend more or less time in the "egg painting" area of her system, the shell gland. It is normally nothing to be concerned about. It simply means she didn't release a yolk before her body started producing an egg to enclose it.

Sometimes a hen may lay a small egg that still contains a yolk, too... even if she normally lays larger eggs. Again, this typically happens with a new layer as her body is getting into the rhythm of laying, but it can also happen with older birds if there has been a disturbance that upsets their usual cycle. It isn't anything to be concerned about unless drastic size changes happen regularly. Then you will want to consult a vet to make sure everything is okay. But do keep in mind that the eggs of a young pullet are often very small (regularly) for a few months, and gradually get bigger as she matures!"

Last edited:
I like the name fairy egg. I have one hen a Barred Rock that is smaller than the rest and is not a consistent layer here is her her fairy egg from this morning.

I was going to sell it to my friend as a joke, but after reading this I think I'm going to blow it out and save it.

I've had a hen to lay 4 of these in less than 3 weeks, think there's anything wrong with her? She's a little over a year old, maybe a deficiency?

I've had a hen to lay 4 of these in less than 3 weeks, think there's anything wrong with her? She's a little over a year old, maybe a deficiency?

Has she had a molt yet? Maybe she's getting ready to. If she's been laying regularly and then starts laying oddly then yes something is happening to her. My White Leghorn started laying weird shaped eggs and then went to a hard molt last fall. It lasted about three months before she was all feathered in and went back to laying her normal eggs.

Back
Top Bottom