Tiny eggs

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
I found a tiny egg last week. I know it can happen from time to time. I wasn’t alarmed as I’ve seen them before in my nine years of raising hens. I actually had one of my older hens run in front of me when I was on the lawn tractor and shoot a tiny egg out.

Yesterday I found another tiny egg. Based on the color they are coming from my 4 year old Americanas Not sure if it is the same hen doing this or if it is different hens.

I have one americana in quarantine and am treating for sour crop and another (unknown breed) in quarantine treatment for gleet. Yeast is among us. Other than that no other behaviors indicating illness.

I feed layer pellets (mini), scratch grains as a treat (not daily) table scraps etc. ground eggshells back to them on occasion, grit and oyster shell.

I wouldn’t be worried if it was a one off but 2 in 2 weeks raised an eyebrow.

Wish I knew if it was one hen or multiple.

Any common things that can cause it? I know fright may (the above tractor example).

I found a tiny egg last week. I know it can happen from time to time. I wasn’t alarmed as I’ve seen them before in my nine years of raising hens. I actually had one of my older hens run in front of me when I was on the lawn tractor and shoot a tiny egg out.

Yesterday I found another tiny egg. Based on the color they are coming from my 4 year old Americanas Not sure if it is the same hen doing this or if it is different hens.

I have one americana in quarantine and am treating for sour crop and another (unknown breed) in quarantine treatment for gleet. Yeast is among us. Other than that no other behaviors indicating illness.

I feed layer pellets (mini), scratch grains as a treat (not daily) table scraps etc. ground eggshells back to them on occasion, grit and oyster shell.

I wouldn’t be worried if it was a one off but 2 in 2 weeks raised an eyebrow.

Wish I knew if it was one hen or multiple.

Any common things that can cause it? I know fright may (the above tractor example).
How big is the egg? My chicken lays eggs the size of a golf ball.

If they are truly tiny fairy eggs(see description below) stress or fright has nothing to do with it. How old are these birds?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

How big is the egg? My chicken lays eggs the size of a golf ball.
Way smaller than a golf ball. Almost the exact same size as one of those small chocolate eggs with the foil wrapped around it.

Attachments

• IMG_9911.jpeg
    IMG_9911.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 3
I had a hen lay an egg like this three weeks ago...it looked like a Robin egg! It's only happened once though, I just assumed it was because she's a "new/recent" layer.
I also cracked it open to see what was inside. And it actually looked like a regular egg, only
the yolk was extremely small.

Back
Top Bottom