Tiny eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bock, Oct 11, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a 4 month old Buff Orpington and a Rhode Island Red hen. They started laying a while ago, but their eggs are barely bigger than my bantam's eggs. What could be causing this? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    They are still young. Give them more time to mature.

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    How long is "a while ago"? [​IMG] Mine were laying small eggs at first, too, but now (1 month+ later) they are the size of Large store bought eggs. Everyone says they gradually get bigger, so I expect they will get even larger.

ETA: pic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    My barred rocks have just started laying. Two eggs in 3 days. Both are small, but perfect. I expect them to get bigger as they get rolling along.

5. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My chickens started laying a month and a half ago and the eggs were super small, but now they are getting larger every week.

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They started laying about a month ago, but I was just expecting them to have gotten bigger by now. Thank you, I will just have to be patient I guess. [​IMG]

7. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    I have 3 barred rock. All normal layers well the 1 year old will sometimes lay an extra large but overall normal. Over the weekend, outside in the run on the ground was a tiny, tiny perfect egg. About the size of a large thumb nail!!! I am going to crack it open tonight and see if there is a yolk. It doesn't sound hollow. I'll let you know. I'll take a picture next to a quarter. if there is a yolk I'll take a picture of that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by