Tiny flock selection

dana hanson

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Hi! I am going to start a small flock of 4 hens in the spring. I really want Rhode Island reds, but am considering mixing it up a bit. Is it better to have 4 reds or maybe 2 reds a buff orp & a black orp, or have all 4 different? I am wanting the bigger brown egg laying chickens for eggs/ pets only. I live in KS.

Last edited:
Morning and welcome to BYC!

We like having a mixed flock but it's all up to you. We have some RIR's and they lay beautiful large medium-brown eggs. We also have Red Sex Link birds and they are fabulous layers of really big darker brown eggs (ours are a cross of RIR and Delaware). I understand the Black Sex Links are great too. We think it's nice having the different colors of birds, they are all very pretty.

If you would like to connect with other Kansans, use this link to find them. They may have opinions on what does well where you are.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248925/consolidated-kansas

When I first started looking into getting chickens I was confident that there were 3 kinds. The white ones, the red ones and the stripedy ones.
Then I joined BYC and started getting an education.. LOL!
I love my speckled sussex. Very friendly and curious. Lay med size, pinkish eggs.
And of course there are the easter-eggers! I have 3. One lays VERY dark brown eggs. One lays blue eggs. The third hasn't started laying yet.
ENJOY THE SEARCH!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It is nice to have a varied flock just to enjoy the different personalities along with the egg laying. Lots of great egg layers out there and some are super friendly too...Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, EE's, etc....All these are great layers and have great personalities as well. So mix it up a bit!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us. The hatchery sites have breed photos and descriptions - Meyer, My Pet Chicken and others. When I was making my decision, bought a book on breeds and searched BYC and the hatchery sites. Suggest you pay attention to breed personality tendencies as well as egg habits.

Good luck, have fun in your planning. The real fun starts when you get them.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

In my opinion, mixed flocks are more fun. You can have a wider variety of color, eggs, and personalities.

Back
Top Bottom