Tiny Part of shell missing but membrane still intact...ok to hatch?

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I Just got my eggs from miss prissy and I noticed on one egg that there was a tiny chip in the shell but the membrane is just fine...is this egg ok to hatch or should I discard it? Is there anything I can put on it to make it safe for the growing chick?

Discard it...the last thing you want is an egg that allows bacteria in to rot and blow up on your good eggs, thus ruining your hatch....

Discard it! :eek: Bacteria is most likely already in the egg.
hmm.png
Sorry that it cracked.
hugs.gif
Good luck with the other eggs!
big_smile.png

Ok, I gonna go against everyone else here. Having successfully hatched a cracked shipped egg, I say go for it. Just keep an eye(and nose) out for it. Mine had broken egg contents on it and I just put it in because I was so disappointed so many were broken. I have an araucana egg in the bator that is also cracked from shipping that is on day 16(I think), I just waxed it on day 3 when I saw development. Just remember to remove the wax before it goes into the hatcher if it gets that far. Good luck!
Krista

Quote:
Pretty brave to risk an entire hatch because of one.....seen too many hens roll a chipped or cracked egg out from under her....I tend to think a hen would know best...
smile.png

Nope, just sounds like such a small spot to not worry about. I have caught every bad egg out of my bator. I smell it daily. I pay a lot of money since I get mostly rare breeds so just tossing one just seems silly to me. It wouldn't hurt to wait a few days and see if it even develops. I am on my second cracked egg and since the membrane wasn't penetrated there were no issues. I think a lot of things are exaggerated and when I stopped worrying so much I actually started enjoying hatching and not stressing. To each their own but I am a true hatchaholic and can't just give up
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom