tiny red bugs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crystal94040, Feb 26, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I was just giving the chicken coop a good scrub down this afternoon and noticed a few tiny red bugs here and there...what are they? Anyone know? and should I be concerned?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Yes! They are mites. Go to TSC or the feed store and get a Lice and Mites powder. Clean the coop with bleach from top to bottom. Sprinle the dust in every crack and crevice. Then give the birds a good dusting (espically arround the vent) Get on it! And Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Yucky mites! DE works too if you have any.

4. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    whats DE...not sure if I'd use the lice/mite powder...I'd imagine it's loaded with chemicals...we are very anti-chemical, I'd be even more leary because I'm pregnant too.
    I'm not against having DH clean the coop with bleach water over and over again though....would that eventually kill them off?

Off to google DE [​IMG]

5. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

DE is diatomaceous earth. You can get it at Tractor Supply or another farm supply store. Make sure that you get the food grade variety so that it will be non-toxic. It is all natural and would be more to your liking, since you are pregnant.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may have to order it online, though. I've never seen food grade DE at any feed store I've ever been to.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Me either. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My feedstores looked at me funny when I first startered asking for DE...my TSC doesn't have any idea what DE is...lol...I have to order mine online too....

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even when someone says they can order it for you, you still need to be sure it's food grade when you get it. If it says 85% silicon, it is NOT food grade.

10. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I have a question about the little red bugs(mites) Every year, early spring or so, we have thousands of tiny red bugs everywhere outside. This is before I had chickens(first chicks last spring). Are these mites as well, and will they infest the coop in the spring? Or maybe a harmless soil mite or something else?
    Thank you for any help!
    Terry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by