Tiny Run for 3 Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aemelia, May 14, 2011.

1. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Here's our tiny run for our 3 backyard chickens. Their coop will be on the porch you can see there. It is 12 feet which should be enough space for them. My husband says if I continue to like having chickens he will build me a better coop and run in the future. The roof is hinged and lifts up for access to the chickens.

[​IMG]

2. Aemelia

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    He wanted me to tell you all this isn't a great work just 90 minutes of effort.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    You might want to add a roost in that as mine really like to roost as they rest and sleep. Very new to chickens as in owning them, so many others will have more to say.

Tell your husband he did a great job on the construction. Looks like the ones we sell at work minus the roost:)

What is the floor made of? I have read that wire can cause injuries to their feet. Will you add shavings or straw?

Who's the cutie in the picture?

4. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    You might want to tell him to start building....'chickening' is addictive... [​IMG]

5. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Quote:So True - i only got 2 baby chickens and now i want more - they are so adorable - they light being stroked on their chest lol - big softes

6. Aemelia

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    We live in a town where you can only have 2 without a permit....and we got 3 so we are pretty much done.

7. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    That is a really nice construction. My husband and I are making an 8 x10 pen in the back for my 3. I will post Pics when the site lets me. Your hubby is a talented carpenter!

8. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Kama, I'm wondering if I went to high school with your brother Zach. I saw your name and then saw that your from Lincoln and just wondered. Maybe or maybe not. Just glad to see another person from Nebraska on here [​IMG]

9. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Nebraska here too:D

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's usually recommended to allow at least 10 square feet per chicken in a run. This is not only for the mental health and happiness of the chickens, but it's also to make the chicken keeper's job easier in keeping the area clean enough for health and odor control. You will be amazed how much chicken manure from three chickens will build up in that tiny space in only a day.

You have this run set on pavers. Is it your intention to leave it there, or move it around your yard on grass? The later would be better. It would give the chickens something to do, and help with the manure buildup problem. A hard surface like pavers is not the best thing for a chicken's feet, too.

Be aware that without a wire apron around the edge of the run, predators could dig under the edge and get inside at your chickens. And with the small size of the run, when it rains it's probably not going to provide much protection to the chickens from rain blowing in from the sides. The chickens will get wet, and when it's cold, wet feathers lose their insulating properties and the chickens could get badly chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by