Tiny wings

LittleRedCoops

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Onondaga NY
I’ve had chickens for 8 years and have had quite a few babies. I recently got some new chicks. It seems that one chicks wings aren’t growing. Has anyone ever seen this? Will it grow normally or is it some kind of birth defect? Attached is a pic of one of the normally developing chicks with the slow grower on the right. They are about two weeks old. Thanks!
2D6F6CAC-A97B-4246-80CA-46D4D721C4C1.jpeg

I must be searching all the threads on this today! I have one like this and found a wiki about the slower feathering. The photos under the T/t allele section seemed applicable, and that they would be normal by 8-ish weeks. Scroll down the page a bit. Wiki Link

My photos aren't as good as yours--black/barred chicks and in basement lighting. But what your picture is like is what mine are doing, but now three weeks old. If you are super curious there is another recently bumped thread where I posted them. It's on page two, not sure if this link will work right. Other thread

'Wingnut' (such a good name, right?) is about a week behind at least on feathering in. But s/he is doing it. I read the males can be slower, but the discussion on the Wiki is regarding an autosomal, not-sex linked, mutation. Edited to add: the earlier section in the Wiki does discuss the sex-linked fast/slow feathering too.

My imagination is also telling me his/her barring is coming in more strongly. I will know in a few weeks I suppose! That said, it's a breed known for being easy to see gender differences at hatch (California Greys, a barred breed) and I supposedly bought all pullets. That said, out of 10, there might be one mistake statistically speaking.

What breed are they?
I’m not sure. I ordered ameraucanas, buff orpingtons, black australorps, New Hampshire’s, silver laced Wyandotte’s, partridge rocks, Colombian Wyandotte’s. The little one has feathered feet, along with two others that are normal sized. I don’t believe this looks like any of the ones I ordered so it may have been a substitution.

I must be searching all the threads on this today! I have one like this and found a wiki about the slower feathering. The photos under the T/t allele section seemed applicable, and that they would be normal by 8-ish weeks. Scroll down the page a bit. Wiki Link

My photos aren't as good as yours--black/barred chicks and in basement lighting. But what your picture is like is what mine are doing, but now three weeks old. If you are super curious there is another recently bumped thread where I posted them. It's on page two, not sure if this link will work right. Other thread

'Wingnut' (such a good name, right?) is about a week behind at least on feathering in. But s/he is doing it. I read the males can be slower, but the discussion on the Wiki is regarding an autosomal, not-sex linked, mutation. Edited to add: the earlier section in the Wiki does discuss the sex-linked fast/slow feathering too.

My imagination is also telling me his/her barring is coming in more strongly. I will know in a few weeks I suppose! That said, it's a breed known for being easy to see gender differences at hatch (California Greys, a barred breed) and I supposedly bought all pullets. That said, out of 10, there might be one mistake statistically speaking.
Wow! Thanks for your response. I had no idea this was a thing. Always learning something new! It seems to be doing well (other than being the noisiest one in the bunch) so hopefully it’s just slow to feather and will catch up soon.

Here’s an updated pic of the late feathering chick next to one of the same age. I think they are about 6 weeks old now. Still scraggly looking.

Attachments

• F695D9D8-A134-4327-B278-550431DB2593.jpeg
    F695D9D8-A134-4327-B278-550431DB2593.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 10
Here’s an updated pic of the late feathering chick next to one of the same age. I think they are about 6 weeks old now. Still scraggly looking.
Wow! Still a big difference! Mine are 6 weeks now and 'Wingnut' is now fully caught up to the point HER (nothing to think she is a boy at this point) tail feathers are the longest. She is also now the second biggest of the group of 5 I have.

Not a great detail picture, but you can see she blends right in! She is second from the left by the way. Snooze pile.
IMG_4245.jpg

This is not a great photo (from this morning) as I was going through the hardware cloth. Wingnut/Grace is the third one down on the steps. You can see the tail feathers better though.
IMG_4282.jpg

She is following that autosomal gene pattern where 'by 8 weeks' normal feathering noted. Other than the slightly longer tail feathers at this point, nothing to look like it's gender related. Photos I've seen for this breed would clearly show male color feathering and comb changes by 6 weeks.

Your little one has not caught up yet! It will be interesting to see in two more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom