Tiny worms?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
Today when one of our chickens jumped on my shoulder (something she always does, she loves it) she left tiny worms on my shirt. They were moving around like little white inchworms but much smaller than any normal worm. We checked her feet and feathers but didn’t see any more.
We also checked some of the other chickens, but they were clean.
We put her down on the shirt again, wiped her feet on it and ruffled her feathers to see if she left any more, but she only left one. The worms on the shirt were killed quickly by sprinkling it with First Saturday Lime powder.
The chickens always dust bathe in the dust and First Saturday Lime in their run, they are always very clean. Do you think she just haven’t been dust bathing enough? She always wanders around the yard, could she have stepped in an inchworm nest or something?
21A0AD10-B4D7-4A81-AA4D-264584A42436.jpeg

Thank you in advance for your help, sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
Maggot larvae sometimes will be laid (by flies) on poops around the coop and run, and when they step into it, it may get on their feet. When chickens have a wound or a poopy vent, maggots can cause fly strike, a dangerous condition in chickens. Hopefully, this is not evidence of that.

You would see maggots moving around on the poopy vent or on a wound. Those may be below the vent from pecking or injury. Here is a good video of a chicken with a wound whose owner discovered maggots at the 4 minute mark:

You would see maggots moving around on the poopy vent or on a wound. Those may be below the vent from pecking or injury. Here is a good video of a chicken with a wound whose owner discovered maggots at the 4 minute mark:

We checked her vent thoroughly and found no worms; no poopy vent either. Apparently the worms were only on her feet. My guess is that she stepped in either a moth nest or inchworms, both look like what we saw. We sprinkled more First Saturday Lime in the coop, on the chickens, and on her feet. We also gave them a nice new dust bath area that they have been rolling in all day; now everyone is bug-free!

Thank you for your help @nuthatched and @Eggcessive, I really appreciate it! :frow

Back
Top Bottom