Tip for identifying mites and fleas

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I thought I would let you know a tip that I learned from an avian vet.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve encountered dirt in chicken feathers. This is perfectly regular because chickens dust bathe — they get dirty to get clean. It’s an integral part of their health and hygiene and exoparasite control.

Maybe you’ve seen dirt on skin or feathers and wondered if it’s actually dirt or if it’s evidence of fleas or mites, which can be confronting and stressful.

All you have to do is get a piece of toilet paper or paper towel, wet it, and then wipe the wet paper against the skin or feathers where the dirt is located. Then look at the paper — if it “bleeds” and a ring of dark colour appears around the specks, that’s indicative of fleas or mites. If it doesn’t bleed and just sticks to the wet paper, it’s plain old ground dirt.

It makes sense because mite and flea “dirt” is made from blood — they feed on blood, hence their faeces will contain blood and therefore bleed on the the wet paper.

I hope this helps someone identify possible exoparasites in their flock, or puts their mind at ease about a potential concern of such. It was something I learned recently and think it’s helpful knowledge.

Hello everyone,

I thought I would let you know a tip that I learned from an avian vet.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve encountered dirt in chicken feathers. This is perfectly regular because chickens dust bathe — they get dirty to get clean. It’s an integral part of their health and hygiene and exoparasite control.

Maybe you’ve seen dirt on skin or feathers and wondered if it’s actually dirt or if it’s evidence of fleas or mites, which can be confronting and stressful.

All you have to do is get a piece of toilet paper or paper towel, wet it, and then wipe the wet paper against the skin or feathers where the dirt is located. Then look at the paper — if it “bleeds” and a ring of dark colour appears around the specks, that’s indicative of fleas or mites. If it doesn’t bleed and just sticks to the wet paper, it’s plain old ground dirt.

It makes sense because mite and flea “dirt” is made from blood — they feed on blood, hence their faeces will contain blood and therefore bleed on the the wet paper.

I hope this helps someone identify possible exoparasites in their flock, or puts their mind at ease about a potential concern of such. It was something I learned recently and think it’s helpful knowledge.
I actually have a huge wood mite problem in my coop right now and they are eating and damaging the wood and they are invading my nest boxes. It has got so bad I got predator mites (a type of mite that only eats other types of mites) they don't affect the chickens or me and they have done some damage (so much I can actually walk in the coop and I've let the flock back in to roost) do you have any suggestions? The affect has not done it's job completely and I'm getting worried again!

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the wood of your enclosure is damp and that’s why the mites keep coming back. If the conditions are right then it will remain attractive. It’s good they don’t cause harm to you or your flock though!

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the wood of your enclosure is damp and that’s why the mites keep coming back. If the conditions are right then it will remain attractive. It’s good they don’t cause harm to you or your flock though!
Ok. I was thinking about just replacing it with a new wooden area and while I'm removing it I can use mite spray everywhere.

That might be easiest course of action if it’s a really bad problem for you. When you build the new coop maybe you can take measures to keep moisture out like painting/sealing the wood, ensuring m good ventilation and make sure water isn’t getting in anywhere or pooling/running down the sides.

Back
Top Bottom