Tip for introducing new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MandalaMaMa, Aug 10, 2016.

1. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    I just let my 8 week old chicks into the run with my older girls and thought I'd share something I did to make it a less stressful event. First I need to let you know they have all been in the hen house for a month together with the chicks in a brooding pen. This way they could get use to each other. But before letting the chicks into the run I put in a fresh bail of straw. This entertained the older chicken all day and gave the chicks time to get use to the run. 3 days later and they are all getting along. It has been so much fun watching the chicks get braver each day and more comfortable in the run.
    I am so grateful for Backyard Chickens. I have learned so much here that I just thought I share something that worked for me. I have been raising chickens for 3 years and I'm still learning and loving every minute of it.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Distractions and keeping hens busy is a great way to avoid behavioral problems. I find chick integration almost too easy these days. Glad it went so well for you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by