Tip of toe bleeding, scales missing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Malibu99, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Hi there.

Yesterday, when I went to let the girls out, I noticed something was wrong with Miracle's toe. The nail was dark and the tip of her toe was bloody, and a few scales were missing. Today, it isn't much better, and I was wondering what might have happened to it... is it a break at the tip of her toe?

[​IMG]

That red spot is where the scales are missing. It wasn't like they fell out, either. There are cracks and rough edges in the remaining scales near where the others are gone.

[​IMG]
    The side of her foot.

[​IMG]
    You can see the way that nail is darker than the rest.

Do you think her nail will fall off? and if it does, will it grow back?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    In my experience, yes the nail will grow back. Do you have hardware cloth or other wire that she could have gotten her toe hung up in? I can't really see the depth of the cut in your picture, but I'd consider putting blu kote or other dry wound sealant on it, just to make sure that she can't get an infection in it as it heals. Miracle is a gorgeous chicken! Best of luck.

3. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Thanks :) It's not a very deep cut- it's right below the scales. There was no hardware wire in the coop. The only thing I could thing of is if I accidently closed the door on her toe... which I don't think I did. I'll see if I can get some Blu-kote later. Thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by