Tipping the waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LisaCammie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. LisaCammie

LisaCammie Out Of The Brooder

My hens like to put their foot on the side of the hanging waterer and watch the water trickle out until the waterer is completely empty. Does anyone else have this problem? Since it's a hanging waterer, I can't think of any way to prevent them from being able to tip it unless I build some kind of frame around it. I've only caught 2 of the hens in the act but it happens several times a week. I'm not sure if they're taking turns or if it's the same ones doing it all the time. Silly little trouble-makers.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Sounds like they want to cool their toes a bit. Set it up on cement blocks, so it is about chicken back high. Or, maybe you could just raise it up so it would be more difficult to stick their feet in.
    Jack

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I put my waterer on an upside-down 5 gal feed bowl and it works good. The only problem is the pullets will occasionally jump on top of it but they can't tip it.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I solved the hanging out on top of the water fount problem, by hanging a light gauge chain from the roof, to just over the top of the water fount. No more crappy waterers.
    Jack

5. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I have the waterer on cement blocks about back height and a funnel on top so they can't stand on it and poop in it.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hang it higher so they can't get their feet in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by