Tips for a lonely hen?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I have a pet hen who I’ve been trying to keep company by setting her up with roosters. There’s been two burned through already! One had neurological issues, so he stopped eating. The second drowned yesterday.
I worry for my hen since animals are prone to some pretty bad depression. I’ve also seen how stressed she gets when she’s alone.

Is there anything I can do so that she’s not lonely without having to get another chicken?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
How old is she, in weeks or months?
Why would you want a male?
Better to have another female(or two).
She’s a year and six months old. I’m often told that a hen needs a rooster to feel protected. How come it’s better to have her with hens?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
Because the male may very well over-mate her.
How long have you had this bird?
I hadn’t thought of that, thank you for the info. She’s the first chicken I’ve had so I’m new to this and would love to learn more for her benefit :•)
I’ve had her since the day she’s hatched. She’s been alone for a year, then I started introducing roosters this year.

BigBlueHen53

We will get through this... together!
Premium Feather Member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
You're on the right track, it's very thoughtful of you to want to hook her up with others of her kind. But as others have said, what she really needs is a flock. Would it be possible to provide several hens for her to pal around with? Roosters generally need multiple hens to meet their needs, a single rooster could actually injure a single hen with his attentions. Good luck.

PandemicChicken

Hatching
Nov 1, 2021
I am in a similar situation - we recently lost the rest of our flock (2 roos) to an animal attack and now our little hen is list. It's devastating because the 3 of them spent the most time together and she definitely realized she was all alone. She's super nervous going outside because she feels like no one is protecting her (even though we're watching). To make things worse, she got mites for the first time so she's been super lethargic and is itching like crazy ):

Top Bottom