Tips for beginner goat owners?

Lucyluvchickens

Chirping
Jan 27, 2017
Dripping Springs, Texas
Howdy again y'all, it's our first time getting goats! (We are getting them this weekend!)
1f604.png
we are so excited, but I wanted to see if y'all had any tips that we should know. Like what foods the can/can't eat, toys, sicknesses, food, housing etc. thanks y'all anything would help!

Howdy again y'all, it's our first time getting goats! (We are getting them this weekend!)
1f604.png
we are so excited, but I wanted to see if y'all had any tips that we should know. Like what foods the can/can't eat, toys, sicknesses, food, housing etc. thanks y'all anything would help!
First of all, get Storey's Guide to Raising Goats. It is a good beginner's book and it will help to answer a lot of your questions. Go to www.caprinesupply.com. and send for a catalog. The catalog not only has a good listing of goat supplies and books, but it is full of good information. Go to your agricultural extension service and see what they have for goat 4H projects. The bulletins available from the ag extension are informative and either free or very inexpensive. You might also contact the American Dairy Goat Association, www.adga.org and see if the will send you some information. Good luck.

Most keepers fail to realize this, but they need free choice minerals and baking soda, depending on the mineral content of your soil

I'm following as well... I have a deposit on 6 doelings, and will be my first time with goats as well! I did find a good list of supplies when I googled goat supply checklist.. complete with emergency medicines etc.. hope I have everything they need ready!

Good to know guess I be putting that out there now to. OK I have another question my buck has been dating oak leafs some say small amount isnok others say that it's poisonous to them. Will he be OK we have red oak and evergreen oaks. It's nearly if not impossible to keep him from them as they are everywhere on the property. We also have mesquite, and he found my Jasmine and my Grape vine ...

My goats eat stuff said to be poisonous too like lilac. If they're eating them and they are fine I would guess it's okay.

Back
Top Bottom