tips for breaking up pallets?

werecatrising

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
California
I am frustrated almost to the point of tears. I was so excited to get my coop started. I am having a horrible time getting the pallets apart. I've been working at it forever and on't even have one board free. Does anyone have any pointers?
hit.gif

I don't take mine apart. It is too hard and you will loose to many of the boards. Plus the wood isn't very strong when you break down the pallets.
Just my opinion!!
roll.png

hey guys
i ahve pulled apart thousands of pallet with no trouble using a 6 or 8' 2x4 as a pry bar (key being lots of leverage) and if needed a 2x4 across the pallet as a fulcrum
then just tap tap tap the nails out
just the point of view of a demo contruction perfectionist (everything i build including my house is out of what some consider garbage!!!!!!!)

Quote:
Really? The plans I bought showed it being done with a hammer and chisel. I was expecting it to bee hard, but not this hard! So you just slide the 2x4 under the slat of the pallets?

We don't have many tools at all, and if I go out and buy a bunch to build the coop it sort of defeats the purpose.

I used a hammer & utility bar like this one. It's a slow going job, but I recommend getting newer pallets. The wood will be light & may have a green tint to it. The newer the wood, the moister & easier they are to get apart. I built my coop of pallet slats & it's plenty sturdy!

Back
Top Bottom