Tips for Cleaning out Coops

Is it on the end or the side?

You might be able to add another access door to the one it's not on so that you can more easily reach all areas of the coop with your manure fork.
It is on the other end. The coops are too awkward of a shape to really get into and scrape out shavings.

You can't get in them to be able to scrape them out so you are constantly leaned over scraping instead of standing. Does anyone have any tips on making coop cleaning quicker and easier?

Any younger relatives or neighbors you could pay/bribe to do the job for you? :) They'd fit inside easier too.

I have a bad back so if I can't stand upright while working, it's a real struggle.

I had one, built a new one, can stand upright in that.

Have you used a rake?

Or have you used scratch? Really works sweetly. Once a week, I just sprinkle it over the bedding, even on the poo. The chicken scratch and tear to find it, and that breaks up the clumps of manure, into particles instead of clumps. The next morning, it looks like I have put fresh bedding in there. They totally flip the pile.

Mrs K

I had one, built a new one, can stand upright in that.

Have you used a rake?

Or have you used scratch? Really works sweetly. Once a week, I just sprinkle it over the bedding, even on the poo. The chicken scratch and tear to find it, and that breaks up the clumps of manure, into particles instead of clumps. The next morning, it looks like I have put fresh bedding in there. They totally flip the pile.

Mrs K
I haven't heard of that method before! I have used a rake.

Back
Top Bottom