Tips for cutting and flattening hardware cloth?

I roll it out on the concrete garage floor, using milk jugs filled with water to hold it down where needed. Sometimes I gently back bend it if it's too curly. Measure to length I need, cut with snips and fold over the sharpies. I rarely wear gloves but do use knee pads, that flood is hard but can act as a base for snips to change hand fatigue. I use a 2x4 and a short pry bar to make any bends needed. I then carry the precut pieces to coop to install.

full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/#comments
1628510204611.png

For normal jobs I use metal tin snips like others posted (get the straight jaw, they also sell curved!).

For bigger jobs I got this amazing drill attachment from dewalt that acts like an endless snip. I believe it will fit any type of drill (not just dewalts). The long arm thing is just a brace, the device is actually quite small. Last I checked they were under $50.

1628510757017.png
1628510800384.png

Dewalt Tin Snips

These electric metal shears are well worth the price in hand cramps saved if you're making more than a few cuts.
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-ga...-61737.html?_br_psugg_q=electric+metal+shears

View attachment 2791246

The advantage of these over the ones with the more ergonomic handle is that they don't take a kerf out so that you won't be seeding your lawn with tiny bits of metal that the chickens will pick up and swallow.

Mow a work area down as tight to the ground as you feel comfortable with your lawn, rake it well, and enlist a couple extra people to stand on the wire as you work. If no people are available, use bricks, boards, logs, etc. as weights.

Laying it out with the curve up and walking on it helps.
Thanks! I do get hand cramps! Good to know it doesn't leave the little metals bits!

I roll it out on the concrete garage floor, using milk jugs filled with water to hold it down where needed. Sometimes I gently back bend it if it's too curly. Measure to length I need, cut with snips and fold over the sharpies. I rarely wear gloves but do use knee pads, that flood is hard but can act as a base for snips to change hand fatigue. I use a 2x4 and a short pry bar to make any bends needed. I then carry the precut pieces to coop to install.

full

More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/#comments
View attachment 2791293
Wow! I've never had a piece look that flat! Thanks!

I use longer tin snips.Never cut where chickens may be playing.Pieces Will break off.
after finished,before affixing to structure,I tape all edges with max Duk tape,folded over all sides.Makes it safe for everybody later.I always use 2 layers 1/2-1/4”hardware cloth.,attached separately ,for better protection,one coated,one not.

I use a cordless angle grinder and cutoff wheel. Easiest and fastest way I know. I prefer it over snips because if you ride the blade along the wire you can get a clean, flush cut without protrusions like the factory edges are.

I use three weights to hold it down while I cut, so it doesn’t curl up and cut me. Weight the end, roll it out, flank the sides of where I’m cutting so it doesn’t curl up and cut me.

To flatten as I go I’d usually unroll it upside down to sorta reverse curl as I unravel; otherwise I’ll just cut it and then roll it up once the opposite direction, which works well in keeps from making it wavy.

I prefer a pneumatic staple gun to install. Can use different lengths of staples if you need to. I like that I can angle the staple gun so I can put tension in certain directions to make the HC be flatter. I tend to put the staple across the “X” of the HC so it’s got double wire under it.

Back
Top Bottom