Tips for dealing with Chicken Math?

Try to band everyone you want to keep, seperate colors for project vs emotional. Then take a count and see how many that is and go from there
I did as you suggested and lowered the price to $10 per hen/rooster, and my reglar buyer said she would take all (25 or so). I will cull another 3, and take another 10 to the livestock auction. That will get the flock down to around 160. Will try to sell another 60.
Seriously, my flock has never had so many injuries, or predator losses as this year. Every day either a chick is lost or injured badly enough so it is not sellable. Lesson learned - don't overdo it!

Oh my goodness! @JacinLarkwell ! I was packing the chickens into my truck this morning .. and found 17 adult roosters in the coop! I had no idea there were so many. This will certainly cut down on food costs, aggression, and let me focus on predator control now. Thanks again for the straight talk.

Oh my goodness! @JacinLarkwell ! I was packing the chickens into my truck this morning .. and found 17 adult roosters in the coop! I had no idea there were so many. This will certainly cut down on food costs, aggression, and let me focus on predator control now. Thanks again for the straight talk.
17 less mouths to feed. At 1/4 lb of feed each (roughly), that's 4 pounds of feed that will not be eaten each day. Even if we argue that it's less, say, 1/8 lbs a day each, that's still 2 pounds a day that would be saved

Back
Top Bottom