Tips for dealing with Chicken Math?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi All, I have too many chickens. I bought and hatched maybe 125 chicks this spring, in anticipation of the egg shortage craze. I've sold 50 so far. Another 5 or so lost to predators. There are 190 left (half are foraging adults, ages 4 months - 2 years, and half are chicks ages 1-4 months in brooders). I would like to get down to under 100 birds before the winter. This can be done by selling laying hens via Craigslist, or dropping off at the local livestock auction - likely the runts, extra roosters, etc. I realize there are some Chicken Math issues here. What criteria do you use to thin out your flock?

Woah, that's a lot of birds! :lau I don't blame you, though. Selling them is a good option, but with roosters it's almost impossible to sell many of them. Sending them to freezer camp is also a good option. I'll admit, it can be hard to do that (and I understand if you can't), but it's the next best option if you want to get your money's worth.

If you don't know how to process, google it. There are tons of step-by-step articles and excellent videos out there on how to do it. Or if you have a friend who knows how.

I think most of us, have had too many chickens. Once, I had a predator help me out. He got in and drastically thinned the flock.

But a funny thing happened, in a few days, I could just feel the flock was more relaxed. They had enough space. They laid better. I counted heads, and that is what would fit in that set up.

You can cheat in the summer. A lot of free feed, bugs, fruit, grass. Chicks in the flock are tiny. But come the end of September, you have to count heads, measure your space and make sure what you want in there really fits.

I would be aggressively selling. I would offer deals to people taking a dozen or more. You have to be going through a lot of feed.

Mrs K

First thing is just move males. Any males that don't fit what you want exactly or are not absolutely attached to, go. If you can, sell them as pairs or trios with females that would go with them.

I used to offer deals if people bought multiples from me, usually 3+, but sometimes 2+ depending on what I had and how many needed to go immediately

I think most of us, have had too many chickens. Once, I had a predator help me out. He got in and drastically thinned the flock.

But a funny thing happened, in a few days, I could just feel the flock was more relaxed. They had enough space. They laid better. I counted heads, and that is what would fit in that set up.

You can cheat in the summer. A lot of free feed, bugs, fruit, grass. Chicks in the flock are tiny. But come the end of September, you have to count heads, measure your space and make sure what you want in there really fits.

I would be aggressively selling. I would offer deals to people taking a dozen or more. You have to be going through a lot of feed.

Mrs K
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks :)

First thing is just move males. Any males that don't fit what you want exactly or are not absolutely attached to, go. If you can, sell them as pairs or trios with females that would go with them.

I used to offer deals if people bought multiples from me, usually 3+, but sometimes 2+ depending on what I had and how many needed to go immediately
OK. There is a lady who takes all my cockerels when they reach 5-6 months.

I noticed though that in the past couple of weeks, sales of chickens via Craigslist have slowed down considerably. I was selling 20+ chicks a week, now nothing. I also noticed that Cackle and McMurray have a much better selection now, as if many customers canceled their orders. Thus, I am thinking of holding on to the females until early October, when they are all laying, and the hatcheries stop shipping, then selling the majority at a premium ($30 instead of $18).

Question on strategy for thinning the flock: let's say I decide that the main characteristics I am looking for are heavy meat bird, jumbo eggs, and predator resistance. Decided to be less concerned about color of the egg. then I was thinking only the chickens that possess two out of three of these traits. Would that make sense?

Question on strategy for thinning the flock: let's say I decide that the main characteristics I am looking for are heavy meat bird, jumbo eggs, and predator resistance. Decided to be less concerned about color of the egg. then I was thinking only the chickens that possess two out of three of these traits. Would that make sense?
You mean, keeping chickens that only have 2 of those traits? Or selling those too?

OK. There is a lady who takes all my cockerels when they reach 5-6 months.

I noticed though that in the past couple of weeks, sales of chickens via Craigslist have slowed down considerably. I was selling 20+ chicks a week, now nothing. I also noticed that Cackle and McMurray have a much better selection now, as if many customers canceled their orders. Thus, I am thinking of holding on to the females until early October, when they are all laying, and the hatcheries stop shipping, then selling the majority at a premium ($30 instead of $18).
@JacinLarkwell so I just calculated out selling hens now for $15, or waiting until October and selling for $25. With the cost of feed, it'd be a wash to wait to October ... Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom