Tips for getting through first cull.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...vestock-and-respectful-chicken-harvest.72871/ <---- This article was useful for me when considering culling extra roosters.

I didn't read this entire thread, but I've been in your shoes. I have also processed Cornish Cross and can assure you it is easier processing them than it is your own rooster. Even with the Cornish Cross, I really had to stop myself from dwelling on any negative emotions. You knew the risks of roosters when getting chickens in the first place, so a part of you was already prepared for this inevitable decision.

In my own personal opinion, to cull a rooster I would do so with the intent of eating him. I couldn't let his life go to waste. Once he's plucked and looks like a grocery store chicken, it isn't so bad, I promise.

I wish you the best of luck! This isn't an easy decision.

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?
My mom ties them upside down and cut a slit in the neck, and jus walk away. Try not to think about it.

My opinion is if you eat meat then you need to fully understand & experience what it takes to get it, make it, well I'll just stop there and say basically every aspect of it. Actually that's my opinion on alot of products, labor, food, or any other resource you use.
Why? To be a more rounded person instead of being self centered and self opinionated.
What I mean is say eggplant. I've tried growing it and always fail. So what can I say when it comes to the price I have to pay when I buy it? The work involved to care for it, to grow it, to maintain the land, take the risks of growing it, the expense, water use, waste (yes poop), spoilage, transportation, delivery, etc, etc, etc. All the people that have to earn a living just to get that thing to the store Then even throw in I'd prefer organic. Be awfully easy to complain about those farmers use of resources and the end cost from grocers when I have no understanding of what it actually takes to put that beautiful eggplant in my cart.

On my chickens I butcher its a choice of knowing the conditions they have been raised in and their quality of life. Also knowing what is in the food I feed my family. Its respect for the animal as well. Like when I hunt. I thank the animal and dispatch it as humanly as possible. Does everyone else thank their layers for eggs?

Other things I consider is teeth. Biologist scientists wildlife experts determine diets of past animals on their teeth. We have a few canine teeth so....

Hi Emma, if the breeder will help with processing, take the opportunity to learn self-sufficiency skills. If you want to support wildlife conservation, give him to the eagle people. If you want to experience the best chicken broth, roast the bird then simmer overnight. If you have a livestock auction nearby and need money back for the food he’s eaten or want to let him go to someone who needs him, sell him. If you need motivation to follow through with any of these choices, think about what a waste it would be if somebodies dog got into your yard and ruined him. And if you’re allowed to keep roosters in your area?? Enjoy watching him his whole life. Ultimately it’s your own personal choice and I can’t tell you which is best. Much love :hugs

*edited to add, people who sell pullets and don’t take back roosters are chicken! 🧐

Last edited:
What she said.

In my situation in this area even if I can find someone to take my roos they most likely will meet the same fate or worse. Possibly cock fighting. Live in poor conditions. Crowded.
Then if I keep them the nature of roos. Its gonna be a fight.

Or from my previous post. Even those that order all pullets what do they think happens to all the roos that are hatched? About half will be male. Hatcheries don't home them. Dispatched and rendered to dog food or sold as discount meat birds. Hatched and killed to provide the chicken people with their flocks.

This will be my first bird sentenced to death... and let me tell you- I am struggling, I feel like emotions are the hardest part. Once I manage to get over it, I will let you know what I decided.
Yep, it's hard.
Even tho I went into chickens knowing I would slaughter for meat.
I knew I would hatch new layers ever year, so extra males and older hens would become meat.
I kept a rogue cockerel in a separate part of coop over the winter while I researched techniques and equipment for 6 months....and got my nerve up.
Read tons of blogs, posts, and watched a few dozen videos to compile the best info.

Directly killing an animal is no small matter. I had adrenaline tremors for 30 minutes after slitting that first neck, even after a few dozen slaughters I still shake a bit.
No matter how you kill it, it will take up to 60 seconds for it to stop moving.
Death Throes are alarming, but something every animal you eat goes thru whether you see it or not.

My biggest fears were a botched neck slit and piercing the rectum/intestine while gutting.
This blog was the most helpful I found for dealing with both of those.

After slaughtering(killing, scalding/plucking/gutting) you've got a bare bird very similar to a grocery bird, so butchering it into parts is relatively easy (if you've ever done that).

I wrote this thread as a catharsis and to thank those that helped me learn.
You might learn something from it.

Good Luck with your decision....mind over matter...you can do it, if you set your mind to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom