Tips for getting through first cull.

I still believe "food" is a quality name. Or nuggets, etc.

Farm grown chicken mostly tastes like chicken. But like... It tastes more like dark meat and the dark meat tastes even darker if that makes sense.

Only you can decide if it's best to send him somewhere else to be eaten or nah. But not being able to eat it is another part of why I suggest doing a good job cooking it. I also agree with the others that there's a sense of satisfaction and distance you get when it's done.

It may not be as hard as you think. But to do it or not is something only you can decide.

I am not sure if I will be able to do it yet....

In the future it is definetly something I will consider. I don't know if me or my brother could stomach it, or more so if I could stomach knowing my brother couldn't stomach it (if you get what I mean).

His fate is still uncertain, but I think I m fairly certain he will be someone's dinner. He is not a very desirable cross I feel like. He's a Jersey Giant x Ameraucana.

If I have to do it I will probably go broomstick method, if I can't I will probably take him to the wildlife shelter.

Thank you for all your help! If I have more questions I hope you don't mind if I post them to this thread! 🥰

More power to you if you can do it! I have a bunch of roosters and just can’t quite bring myself to process them. Bought a kill cone and everything :idunno

It’s the mental hump that you have to get over. Once you get over it, could you tell me how you did it?

I sell my birds for $10 to $20. Depending on size. I ask the people what they plan on doing with him, and I never make them feel bad for using him for dinner. It’s a win win. Rooster is gone, make a buck and am able to find out what his fate will be. Every person that buys my roosters for food knew exactly what they were doing. So the deed is quick and feeds a family.

It may help in the future to name your birds after food items. Omelet, A-La-King, Kay-Ef-Cee, Dumpling(s), Noodle(s), Fryer, Cordon Bleu, etc.
In this way, you can constantly remind yourself that the purpose of this bird is to provide food for your family. If not eggs, then meat; and if too old for eggs, then meat.
It is possible to care for, even love your livestock, and still eat them when it's time. You'll know precisely how they've been medicated, fed, their housing conditions and how humanely you have processed them; With respect, dignity, and thankfulness for their sacrifice.

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?

I totally get you. Out of 7 chicks, 4 turned out to be Roo's. We rehomed two and I'm certain those were used for food or dog food since the person asked if we have any freezer burnt food we want to get rid of for his dogs. I'm ok with that. As long as they're not playing "catch your dinner" with them or something like that. We had two roo's left and decided, Nah we didn't invest all that feed and time into them for someone else to reap, just because of a feeling. Husband used a traffic cone and a sharp knife. I couldn't do it.
He's dubbed that traffic cone the "Cone of death" & threatens the hens with it when they aren't laying lol.
Either you'll eat or someone else will. Let us know if and what method you decided to use.

I totally get you. Out of 7 chicks, 4 turned out to be Roo's. We rehomed two and I'm certain those were used for food or dog food since the person asked if we have any freezer burnt food we want to get rid of for his dogs. I'm ok with that. As long as they're not playing "catch your dinner" with them or something like that. We had two roo's left and decided, Nah we didn't invest all that feed and time into them for someone else to reap, just because of a feeling. Husband used a traffic cone and a sharp knife. I couldn't do it.
He's dubbed that traffic cone the "Cone of death" & threatens the hens with it when they aren't laying lol.
Either you'll eat or someone else will. Let us know if and what method you decided to use.
With my first batch I had bad odds like that, 6/8-possibly 7/8 (one passed, but I think he was a boy) roosters, luckily I was able to give to breeding homes because they were such high quality and four were pure breed ameraucana's.

This will be my first bird sentenced to death... and let me tell you- I am struggling, I feel like emotions are the hardest part. Once I manage to get over it, I will let you know what I decided.

Thank you!

More power to you if you can do it! I have a bunch of roosters and just can’t quite bring myself to process them. Bought a kill cone and everything :idunno

It’s the mental hump that you have to get over. Once you get over it, could you tell me how you did it?

I sell my birds for $10 to $20. Depending on size. I ask the people what they plan on doing with him, and I never make them feel bad for using him for dinner. It’s a win win. Rooster is gone, make a buck and am able to find out what his fate will be. Every person that buys my roosters for food knew exactly what they were doing. So the deed is quick and feeds a family.
With my first batch I had bad odds like that, 6/8-possibly 7/8 (one passed, but I think he was a boy) roosters, luckily I was able to give to breeding homes because they were such high quality and four were pure breed ameraucana's.

This will be my first bird sentenced to death... and let me tell you- I am struggling, I feel like emotions are the hardest part. Once I manage to get over it, I will let you know what I decided.

Thank you!

Ah man what is it with the roosters up in here. I also got two Lavender Orps and both turned out to be boys.
And ya know, you might just be ok with letting someone else eat them. The mental anguish might not be worth it for you. If my husband didnt do the deed, I'd just post em up and make peace with the " loss" of time, feed and meat.
If my mom heard me say this, she might use the broomstick method on me. She came from a poor village in Ukraine .

It may help in the future to name your birds after food items. Omelet, A-La-King, Kay-Ef-Cee, Dumpling(s), Noodle(s), Fryer, Cordon Bleu, etc.
In this way, you can constantly remind yourself that the purpose of this bird is to provide food for your family. If not eggs, then meat; and if too old for eggs, then meat.

That's why all my chickens have food names.

Back
Top Bottom