Tips for getting through first cull.

I don't think it's ever about "needing" to eat our flock. Chances are good we've gotten rid of all our chickens long before we can no longer afford food for ourselves. We CAN go to a grocery, go vegan or whatever. It's about what's RIGHT to do and what's PRACTICAL. Don't be fooled, cornish cross can live for years and have a zeal for life too. They're very personable and easy to get attached too. Roosters of all sorts too.

The reality is, you have a rooster. You can't keep him but your choices are your responsibility and he's your responsibility now too. If you buy a broiler from the store instead of eating him, what sort of life did it lead? If he is given away for free, where would he be? If he was wild, where would he be? If he were hatched in a hatchery where would he be? I think you know the results of most of those situations for most male animals - especially chickens.

And it's hella not easy. It's OK to be intimidated and have a mixed bag of feelings. It's OK to need support and videocall someone you trust. (I threw a party for my first animal butchering.) It's OK to cry before, or cry after. But while you're doing it you have to be focused for his sake.

If this is something you're committed to doing I suggest getting comfortable with your uncomfortable feelings. If you can, give yourself a week and name him "Food". Every time you see him say "Hello food. You will be food soon. I love you.". Take some time to acclimate to this idea - rooster is loved AND ALSO food. You can love the things that become your food. You don't need to show him a good time, just give him normal good care and remind yourself that he IS food.

Do let yourself feel sad, but every time you do, recommit to the idea that he's your responsibility. Do spend time watching chicken butchering videos until you feel like you could do it in your sleep. Do imagine yourself or mock going through the motions. Do go easy on yourself leading up to the day of.

And on the day of, take deep breaths, steady your hands, say thank you and get it done quickly so it's not painful or wasteful. And then be kind to yourself for the rest of the day - you did something very hard.

And at the very last - cook him well in the tastiest way you can for a bird of his size and age. Make it as good as you can. It might sound silly, but how disrespectful to go through all that and take an entire life only to not like the result? He lived and died for you and you're not even gonna enjoy that gift? No sir. Be grateful and do your very best to appreciate the life that gives you life every step of the way.
Wow. What a beautiful response. Thank you. Well said. I agree.

Thank You for this post. I was wondering what you are supposed to do after the bird is dead, very helpful. 💕

Also a trusted breeder who I trust because her birds are such high quality offered to do the deed for me. For months I have been saying if he needs to die he might aswell feed me because of all the time, money, love, and energy I put into my babies. Now as I think deaper into it, I'm not sure if I would be able to put the meat in my mouth without gagging.

I had a Barred Rock rooster I rehomed last weekend. He didn't cause trouble but started becoming more dominating (never fought the other roos or me), he was a sweet boy but starting having his hormones kick in. He was a super big boy, and was trying to mount my teeny tiny bantam frizzle who fits in my hand. She is one of my favorites. While doing so he accidetally knicked her right above the eye and caused her to bleed. He was a sweet boy but the bigger he got the more I began to imagine him on my dinner table.

The blue EE I had hoped to find a home for, he is so sweet and submissive with other roosters but can also be an amazing protector of the flock, and would do amazing solo. I had hoped if I had to eat one it would be the Barred Rock, and if not then both. I have always heard how amazing happy homegrown birds tasted, and thought maybe I could bring myself to do it. After all, once they were both plucked I probably wouldn't know the difference between the two.

Now I know which one it would be. It would be my sweet boy.

Should I bring him to the breeder to do it for me? She is experienced and I am sure could do it fast and painlessly. Also I don't know how I am going to be able to help myself deal with the heartache along with my younger brother. I feel like he wouldn't want to eat Lilac, I don't even know if I could do it.

If his body is going to get wasted in my household his life was not used correctly.

I am from the city, I have never tried fresh meat. I have been imagining for weeks what eating homegrown meat would be like. Although in my imagination, I was not eating this rooster.

I am just stuck. I don't know if I should bring him to the breeder and let her take care of it, he will be used to his fullest extent, and culled humanely and painessly. Or try and mentaly prepare myself and my brother for the loss of our sweet Lilac, and the taste of him on our plates.

I suppose the first step would be to stop calling him by his name, and instead something like "The EE roo."
Honestly Emma, there's nothing wrong with the fact that you clearly love the rooster and you obviously have a heart. If anything..... that's a good thing right? That's what makes you who you are. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you need help with the culling of your animal. The rooster became your pet. Much the same way a dog is. And most dog owners wouldn't be able to put their pet down either. Even when it needs to be. And I can promise you that ALOT of chicken owners go through this. We get attached, sometimes to the ones we weren't supossed to get attached too. And it can definitely be difficult.

My opinion is..... If you really feel a strong sence of grief and guilt over this ... If keeping the roo is Not an option for you.... You should just give the him to your breeder friend to do the deed. Otherwise, you might be setting yourself up for trauma, and a bad experience in raising chickens. And that trauma might prevent you from continuing to raise future birds. And that would just honestly suck.
It's alot more traumatizing to SEE something happen....then it is to imagine it or hear about it. In other words....it will be easier to get someone else to do it.
Your right.... The bird won't be used to its fullest potential..... But your guilt and emotions are very real and very valid. And I've seen it first hand....if you can't handle it....then don't. Because it can be traumatizing. And I'm also sure that if you have a really hard time emotionally with killing the bird, you most likely will have an even harder time eating the bird afterwords. And the trauma to you will have all been for nothing. This isn't something you need to 'overcome'. it isn't a meat bird. It's your pet....who you love.
If you were raising meat birds I would be giving different advice. Killing meat birds is something I myself have also had to overcome. But your roo is your pet. And it's a different story.
The lesson to be learned from this....is to be careful choosing where you get your birds from. There are places that guarantee females. Places that rectify problems like this by taking the roo back and giving you a female...or your money back. Not that they are very expensive anyways. But those are the places you want to go with because their sexing of the chicks is better. They don't want to make mistakes.
In my experience ....I've had best results by buying from large companies like farm feed stores. I don't know if these places are taking orders in your area with the covid problems....but if it's available....that's what you should go with next time.
I hope all turns out for you, and I do hope you keep us updated. I wish you the best of luck and just know your not alone in this.

Honestly Emma, there's nothing wrong with the fact that you clearly love the rooster and you obviously have a heart. If anything..... that's a good thing right? That's what makes you who you are. There's nothing wrong with the fact that you need help with the culling of your animal. The rooster became your pet. Much the same way a dog is. And most dog owners wouldn't be able to put their pet down either. Even when it needs to be. And I can promise you that ALOT of chicken owners go through this. We get attached, sometimes to the ones we weren't supossed to get attached too. And it can definitely be difficult.

My opinion is..... If you really feel a strong sence of grief and guilt over this ... If keeping the roo is Not an option for you.... You should just give the him to your breeder friend to do the deed. Otherwise, you might be setting yourself up for trauma, and a bad experience in raising chickens. And that trauma might prevent you from continuing to raise future birds. And that would just honestly suck.
It's alot more traumatizing to SEE something happen....then it is to imagine it or hear about it. In other words....it will be easier to get someone else to do it.
Your right.... The bird won't be used to its fullest potential..... But your guilt and emotions are very real and very valid. And I've seen it first hand....if you can't handle it....then don't. Because it can be traumatizing. And I'm also sure that if you have a really hard time emotionally with killing the bird, you most likely will have an even harder time eating the bird afterwords. And the trauma to you will have all been for nothing. This isn't something you need to 'overcome'. it isn't a meat bird. It's your pet....who you love.
If you were raising meat birds I would be giving different advice. Killing meat birds is something I myself have also had to overcome. But your roo is your pet. And it's a different story.
The lesson to be learned from this....is to be careful choosing where you get your birds from. There are places that guarantee females. Places that rectify problems like this by taking the roo back and giving you a female...or your money back. Not that they are very expensive anyways. But those are the places you want to go with because their sexing of the chicks is better. They don't want to make mistakes.
In my experience ....I've had best results by buying from large companies like farm feed stores. I don't know if these places are taking orders in your area with the covid problems....but if it's available....that's what you should go with next time.
I hope all turns out for you, and I do hope you keep us updated. I wish you the best of luck and just know your not alone in this.
Thank you so much. Your words of support warm my heart, I love knowing I am not alone. Thank you :hugs:bow

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?
I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.
"I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.".. Don't bond with your food.. Somewhere in the early 80's I acquired my first flock of 25. Straight run from a local hatchery of Rhode Island Reds with thee intention to harvest both meat and egg.. Had a young family then to feed and times were tough.. Certainly tougher than today. Converted an old single stall garage to a coup. Couldn't close the door with a car in there anyway.. Half of a straight run is going to be roosters i.e. roasters. Knew this going in.. Had my brother come over and we harvested all but three roosters.. eventually two more of those problem children. The hens were here for eggs.. We ate a lot of eggs as at every meal.. when available. Winter being a little slim pickings there.. A lot of potatoes. grew 1000LBS of tatters in a gravel pit! Never been able to repeat that.. Lasted through January and oat meal mush at 'every meal'.. We were grateful to those roosters for their sustenance.. I will admit I apologized to the first few as I laid their head upon the chopping block. Them looking at me with this "Whatcha doing daddy" look.. but I had a family to feed in harsh times. Will admit too, I had a favorite. We named her Big Mama. She seem the boss and was most congenial. I was an avid hunter and fisherman from my youth.. and a kid with a BB gun turned loose. Taking life was no stranger to me.. but did thank deer I took for giving their life so my family could live. Must be the Apache blood.. I respect all life, but realize some must go. As this is what they are here for.. I even step over bugs on the sidewalk and won't mash a mouse outside my home or barn.. but if they are in my house. That is another story.. At my age I have both survived untold wars, polio, scarlet fever, hard measles as a baby, regular measles, chicken pox and mumps.. lots of strep. While surrounded by smallpox too tuberculosis and rheumatic fever. No such thing as a VAX.. This is nothing today as times will get rougher, and the sooner the better. Then chickens will be more than pets. They'll be survival. I realize I may be talking to a lady.. I have known and currently know women who could run circles around me... do amazing things which would make even me squeamish. So buck it up buttercup.

Don't bond with your food.. Somewhere in the early 80's I acquired my first flock of 25. Straight run from a local hatchery of Rhode Island Reds with thee intention to harvest both meat and egg..
They weren't supposed to be food. We have chickens for eggs, we didn't have the intent of eating them. I had bought pullets not straight run, and because I am too trusting I was taken advantage of. I respect your veiws, but we don't have chickens for the sake of survival, if we did I am sure we would get some for meat. We have chickens because they are amazing to have around and they also have the bonus of supplying breakfast. If I had gone into it knowing I was going to get taken advantage of I would have tried not to bond with them. But despite my gut I trusted they were pullets. Every bird in my flock has a name, and they all have their own personalities. I know I will get judged for the way I do things, but that is just the way I run my small backyard flock. I don't judge people who raise birds for meat, infact I highly respect them. But at this moment in time that way is not for me.

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?
I feel your pain. I had several hatches this year that gave me mostly cockerel that I was giving away because I felt guilty culling myself but I got to the point that I realized that investing all my time and money feeding and watering and making sure my birds are happy and heathy that I deserve to have them for my dinner. It takes a lot of mental preparedness to do it but once it’s done I’m satisfied that they had a good life and they didn’t suffer because I try to do it quick. The great community of BYC has giving the courage to do it and I’m glad I did.

I don't think it's ever about "needing" to eat our flock. Chances are good we've gotten rid of all our chickens long before we can no longer afford food for ourselves. We CAN go to a grocery, go vegan or whatever. It's about what's RIGHT to do and what's PRACTICAL. Don't be fooled, cornish cross can live for years and have a zeal for life too. They're very personable and easy to get attached too. Roosters of all sorts too.

The reality is, you have a rooster. You can't keep him but your choices are your responsibility and he's your responsibility now too. If you buy a broiler from the store instead of eating him, what sort of life did it lead? If he is given away for free, where would he be? If he was wild, where would he be? If he were hatched in a hatchery where would he be? I think you know the results of most of those situations for most male animals - especially chickens.

And it's hella not easy. It's OK to be intimidated and have a mixed bag of feelings. It's OK to need support and videocall someone you trust. (I threw a party for my first animal butchering.) It's OK to cry before, or cry after. But while you're doing it you have to be focused for his sake.

If this is something you're committed to doing I suggest getting comfortable with your uncomfortable feelings. If you can, give yourself a week and name him "Food". Every time you see him say "Hello food. You will be food soon. I love you.". Take some time to acclimate to this idea - rooster is loved AND ALSO food. You can love the things that become your food. You don't need to show him a good time, just give him normal good care and remind yourself that he IS food.

Do let yourself feel sad, but every time you do, recommit to the idea that he's your responsibility. Do spend time watching chicken butchering videos until you feel like you could do it in your sleep. Do imagine yourself or mock going through the motions. Do go easy on yourself leading up to the day of.

And on the day of, take deep breaths, steady your hands, say thank you and get it done quickly so it's not painful or wasteful. And then be kind to yourself for the rest of the day - you did something very hard.

And at the very last - cook him well in the tastiest way you can for a bird of his size and age. Make it as good as you can. It might sound silly, but how disrespectful to go through all that and take an entire life only to not like the result? He lived and died for you and you're not even gonna enjoy that gift? No sir. Be grateful and do your very best to appreciate the life that gives you life every step of the way.
This is beautiful. Thanks!

I am not sure if I will be able to do it yet....

In the future it is definetly something I will consider. I don't know if me or my brother could stomach it, or more so if I could stomach knowing my brother couldn't stomach it (if you get what I mean).

His fate is still uncertain, but I think I m fairly certain he will be someone's dinner. He is not a very desirable cross I feel like. He's a Jersey Giant x Ameraucana.

If I have to do it I will probably go broomstick method, if I can't I will probably take him to the wildlife shelter.

Thank you for all your help! If I have more questions I hope you don't mind if I post them to this thread! 🥰
I am not sure if I will be able to do it yet....

In the future it is definetly something I will consider. I don't know if me or my brother could stomach it, or more so if I could stomach knowing my brother couldn't stomach it (if you get what I mean).

His fate is still uncertain, but I think I m fairly certain he will be someone's dinner. He is not a very desirable cross I feel like. He's a Jersey Giant x Ameraucana.

If I have to do it I will probably go broomstick method, if I can't I will probably take him to the wildlife shelter.

Thank you for all your help! If I have more questions I hope you don't mind if I post them to this thread! 🥰
I'm from a city too. l feel exactly like you and l only have quails that are super easy to cull ( in you tube of course). I too started during quarantine. I'm planning on visiting a friend who is a farmer when he will cull his birds, observe him for a while and then cull one of his birds with his assistance and give him my birds to cull. I'm thinking this way I will learn how to do it without hurting my birds with my inexperience. I don't know if that sounds right. It's the best I can think. And he wouldn't mind. But I wouldn't give them to someone else to eat after all that care. Maybe you can make an arrangement like mine with your friend. Nevertheless, buy a good pair of scissors because you never know what will happen. I've lost only one bird till now and I regret I wasn't prepared to cull her, mostly because I was hoping she'll recover, but also because I had only kitchen knives and that was too much for me to handle. Honestly, I wasn't planning on learning how, but after that bird, I realized I should know how to do it in case it happens again. It's the most responsible thing to do. At least those are my thoughts. I'm surprised and glad that even experienced people have a hard time doing it. I thought I was too "soft" and should get more "grown up" and don't make such a fuss about it.

They weren't supposed to be food. We have chickens for eggs, we didn't have the intent of eating them. I had bought pullets not straight run, and because I am too trusting I was taken advantage of. I respect your veiws, but we don't have chickens for the sake of survival, if we did I am sure we would get some for meat. We have chickens because they are amazing to have around and they also have the bonus of supplying breakfast. If I had gone into it knowing I was going to get taken advantage of I would have tried not to bond with them. But despite my gut I trusted they were pullets. Every bird in my flock has a name, and they all have their own personalities. I know I will get judged for the way I do things, but that is just the way I run my small backyard flock. I don't judge people who raise birds for meat, infact I highly respect them. But at this moment in time that way is not for me.
No judgment.. just a serving of animal protein to help build your strength.:old If you ever find yourself in said postion. The Amish are efficient and do a fine job for a minor fee.. Sorry you were taken advantage of too learn the hard way.. Seems to be a lot of dishonest chicken wranglers with honest chickens.. What's up with that..

Back
Top Bottom