Tips for keeping Chickens out of neighbors yard?

FiveInOurFlock

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
We have a flock of 9, and up until just recently have been allowed to free range in the neighborhood and have not been seemingly bothering anybody. The neighbors had started feeding our girls cat food, unfortunately now they gravitate over there and go in their garage and eat the cat food if the garage door is open. I received a very nicely worded message asking that we keep the chickens out of their yard and garage as they have started pooping in the garage on entry. Obviously they will have to stop feeding them the cat food, but now that they are used to going over there any ideas on how to redirect them so that we don't have to Coop them up?

The more you let them out, the farther they will roam. Once they have gotten a liken for that place, the only real thing you can do is fence them in for several weeks. Then only let them out in the late afternoon of day, or only occasionally. But I think it will take several weeks if they got a real liking for that food source... or maybe feed them cat food on your property?

The neighbors had started feeding our girls cat food, unfortunately now they gravitate over there and go in their garage and eat the cat food if the garage door is open.
Ha!! Serves them right then!

Seriously, build a big run to keep them safe and your neighbors happy.

Thank you for all of their responses. I guess I should add we have about 5 acres and they have a ton of room to roam and don't spend a lot of time in the neighbor's yard, I think they were lured over by the cat treats offered by them 😔. I've actually checked in with both neighbors numerous times to make sure they were not bothersome, And up until now they have both indicated they enjoyed them roaming around freely.

They actually do have a fairly large fenced in area attached to their coop! Unfortunately it is not covered on the top and they have learned to fly out which is how they get out everyday, we don't actually let them out lol! We were thinking we could do some bird netting over the top, But they are so used to having so much more room to roam, I feel bad fencing them into a smaller area now 😭

Thank you for all of their responses. I guess I should add we have about 5 acres and they have a ton of room to roam and don't spend a lot of time in the neighbor's yard, I think they were lured over by the cat treats offered by them 😔. I've actually checked in with both neighbors numerous times to make sure they were not bothersome, And up until now they have both indicated they enjoyed them roaming around freely.

They actually do have a fairly large fenced in area attached to their coop! Unfortunately it is not covered on the top and they have learned to fly out which is how they get out everyday, we don't actually let them out lol! We were thinking we could do some bird netting over the top, But they are so used to having so much more room to roam, I feel bad fencing them into a smaller area now 😭

Maybe clip their wings?

Mutual respect means keeping your things on your property, and your neighbor keeping their things on theirs'. The cat food in the garage may be an attractive nuisance to your little dinosaurs, but its the neighbor's cat food, in the neighbor's garage, on the neighbor's land. You and your birds have no right to it - and if you feel your bird's five acres is inadequate, the solution is to buy more land, not take the use of your neighbors!

Put up the fence/netting. or wing clip. or both.

Back
Top Bottom