Tips for keeping nest boxes cool

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Any tips on keeping nest boxes cool? I have a RIR hen today, that was panting like crazy while waiting to lay (she's a small bird, and it seems like she usually takes longer than the others). I poured some coolish water on her back, which she seem to like at first, but then she got up and scolded me. I don't think I want to try that again, because it seems to stress her a little.

Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

C

Sometimes the act of laying is painful, especially on young layers, she's not hot, she's stressed.

Good point. I suspect it may have been a touch of both. She does seem to take longer laying, and her eggs tend to come out elongated. Also, our temperature is supposed to be up in the 90s today.

She's getting double wammied, you could try a fan blowing the nest direction, not sure if they would find it a disruption. I'd rather deal with our cold winters, than deal with hot summers, which can be deadly.

I've taken to cracking open the egg collection door a tad about an inch, have a secondary screw to catch the latch, not sure if it helps much.

Back
Top Bottom