tips for keeping predators away

lady chicken whisperer

Songster
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
Ohio
I have raised various chickens for some years now and have found that keeping a radio on at night in the coop helps keep predators away.

I was told a story about a friend who had raised chickens for years and always had a radio on at night to keep predators away. He never had a problem until one night his wife turned off the radio. The next day every one of his chickens was gone.
sad.png

I raise meat birds for fair and have them in an old coveret that i turned into a coop. The whole thing, top to bottom, is double chicken wired and the door in hardware clothed. The good thing is when it gets hot i can raise the sides up and help airflow, the birds love it. Its often too hot at night to close the barn so i just leave it open!! Ive kept the radio playing at night and ive never had a problem. Even though the coop is pretty secure a weasle would have no problem getting in, so i guess the radio helps!!

Just thought id let everyone know in case you were having a predator problem!!

What about those of us who don't have coon or weasel problems, and instead have the dangers of snakes and coyotes and hawks? Coyotes are more and more living in suburban habitats, so are getting rather desensitized to humans and human stuff, and snakes just sense vibrations and (for pit vipers) heat. Hawks...I dunno. I guess I just won't be free-ranging much. Any ideas on either of these, other than a secure coop?

Last edited:
I have had a radio in my coop for 2 yrs now...and I have to say.....makes cleaning a little more enjoyable! LOL My mother told me when the hens stop laying, play country music...its soothing..well..it works! THATS why I put the radio in there in the first place....everyone was slowing down on laying...not now! The whole predator thing...thats a plus for sure!

I have a neighbor that has problems with birds nesting in his garage so he leave a radio on 24 hrs. It's about forty feet from my chicken coop and I haven't seen any critters around...

I remember when I was younger I remember getting my hair cut and the lady would sweep up the hair and place in bag. She toldme a farmer asked for her to save the hair to put along his fence line to keep the coyottes away. I dont know if it works something old farmers use to do.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom