Tips for mealworm farming?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I just ordered 250 mealworms in hopes of staring my own mealworm farm. I will have wheat bran, carrots, potatoes and apples for food.

I've never done this before and my husband is not very happy with me about having worms in the house.

I'm hoping to create a ton of worms for my flock! I saw a couple YouTube videos and it looks a little confusing of when to transfer the worms to each container. I'm assuming I need 3 totes right?

Thanks! I appreciate any tips you have.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Everything you need to know to get started you can find in the links found in the first page of this thread. If you want, you can raise them all in a single bin and they will do quite fine.

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you! :)

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I just read that the beetles will eat the baby worms.

I have several bins I can use. I have wheat bran, layer feed, oats and apples. I'm all set to go! I hope my worms come today, so I can get this started. :)

5. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I'm in the process of doing the same thing; I got my initial amount of mealworms in May, and now I have three bins, one with I don't know how many nice fat mealworms in it... I need to set up a bin to put some in to pupate, and start the cycle over again. And yeah, my DH is really not too happy about me raising bugs, lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by