***** Tips for picture taking *****

Guitartists

Resistance is futile
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Michigan
I've noticed that some pics that get posted for breed/gender id are hard to work with because of blur etc. I thought it might be helpful to post some tips.

1) Auto settings on cameras are set for a distance of at least 4 feet for clear crisp shots. If you have a MACRO setting on your camera (often a flower symbol) this is the time to use it. It will allow you to focus within the 4 foot range. Otherwise you are best off backing away from the subject and using a photo editing program (Picaso is a free program available through Google that works nicely AND easily!) to crop the image down to show more of the subject.

2) The better your lighting the better the picture. Natural lighting with no flash works great when you want to get true colors and much detail such as feather patterns. Flashes can not only wash everything out and cause things to look much brighter, but it hides subtle details and I've noticed not all animals are fond of a bright light shining in ther eyes, even if just for a second. If you can't take them outside yet, try to find a nice sunbeam in your house, but beware drafty window seams.

3) If you can't get a good shot because they keep moving, try having someone help by holding the bird still or try to take the pictures while it is at rest or occupied with something.

4) Photo sizes. If you have windows XP there is a tool you can download.... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Image resizer This will allow you to resize your image (you can set it to make a new copy when it resizes) to common sizes for upload to phones, web etc. This is handy if you want to keep your original files large but would like a smaller one for other uses.

I hope these come in handy for BYC members. Happy photographing!
wee.gif

Great info! I have been trying to take some photos of my chicks to see what breeds they are but haven't been getting them to turn out good enough. I will definately try the micro setting. Thanks

Some blurry photos are because the person didn't press part-way down on their shutter button first to allow the camera to see what it's focusing on. If a person just quick hits the shutter button hard, in one fell swoop, the camera might not have gotten enough time to recognize what it was focusing on. Also, that sudden motion could cause the whole camera to move...

I usually take good pictures, but have a hard time with really close up pics. I didnt know that about the Macro (flower symbol) thank you!!!

I tried the macro setting but then the pictures still didn't turn out good. The sports setting seemed to help with blurring and I totally agree that the flash really washes out a lot of detail. I think I may take them outside to get pics tomorrow - this time of year in Iowa is basically like a giant brooder box
big_smile.png

I seem to have trouble with lighting causing yellowing of the image ...
A lighting issue I'm thinking ? Anyone recommend a cure for this ?

Recent shot :
70988_2011_march28_004.jpg

The lighting issue is because of the... lighting. Looks like indoor lighting. You have to correct this in post-processing (meaning in Photoshop, you edit the tone and color of the image). Best way to resolve these issues is to use a better lighting situation to begin with. Try taking the shots outdoors in regular daylight (not in bright sunlight)... photos turn out a little better when it is overcast or you take the photo in the shade facing the light (sun).

Back
Top Bottom