Tips for pretty extras

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shannon33, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I see a lot of people that add just a little something extra to make their coops look pleasing, a weather vane, some hanging plants, etc. and was wondering if anyone would like to share some tips they have.

2. ninnyeggs

ninnyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    i put a vine growing up mine because we live in vegas and it get HOT so it will help them stay cool. i got some iron stars and a stenciled painting that i did. its almost done [​IMG] cant wait to see what other people have done [​IMG]

3. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    search on etsy.com for "chicken signs" or "bunting flags" or some other thing, and see what you find!

4. Shannon33

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Good ideas so far! I didn't even think about the iron stars, I even have some in my basement I could use!!
    And signs!! They would be fun to make too. My coop is nice looking structurally but very blah!

5. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Once the roof is on mine, I'll be adding hanging baskets to the run posts. I also saw a cool "window planter" that I'm going to make for the cross supports. In the front, I have potted and in the ground plants.

6. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Still building our coop so I would love some ideas and pictures too PLEASE [​IMG]

7. Shannon33

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Saw a strand of solar powered lights that look like dragonflies at a store tonight, thought that might be cute [​IMG]

8. monica.stromberg

monica.stromberg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I stenciled a barred rock hen, four little chicks, and a rooster in black on my white coop. I also trimmed the windows in dark green, and have a window box under the window facing the house. The door is red and there is a little porch that will soon have pots of flowers there, too!

Paradise Chickens
    "Poultry in Motion"

9. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

this is a great thread! i love when i see the front porchs on some house type coops- so cute with windowsill flower boxes.On sunday me nd hubby will be remodeling a shed into a coop. cant wait to get to the fun part- tiny details

search on etsy.com for "chicken signs" or "bunting flags" or some other thing, and see what you find!

great idea bluebetween!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by