1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips for stopping chicks dirtying water.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spicywing, Mar 12, 2015.

1. spicywing

spicywing Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Does anybody have any good tips for keeping the water cleaner in the brooder?
    My 3 week olds kick up sawdust minutes after me laying out fresh water.

2. ScenicViews

ScenicViews Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    King, NC
    I put mine up on another dish, gave it a pedestal. However, they still manage to get shavings in there. They like to take dust baths right by the water dish.. Good luck...at this age I am not sure if you can...

Yay! you have 3 week old chicks!![​IMG]

3. spicywing

spicywing Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Thanks.
    The little devils have started to fly up and perch on the sides of the box:
    [​IMG]
    They're cream crested legbars.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kylea0219

Kylea0219 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    Varysburg, NY
    The first thing I did was raise up the waterer on some bricks I had. That worked until the got a little bigger. I just switched my chicks to the nipple waterers. they are so nice and clean. I bought 25 nipple waterers off ebay and put a couple in the top of empty water bottles. and hung them above the brooder. Its only been a few day and most of the chicks are using them. I have another small basin waterer in there for the ones who haven't figured it out yet. It is just so much cleaner no way shavings or droppings can get in the bottles. I actually bought a bigger one for my coop once they move out there. Tractor supply has them its a five gallon bucket with for or five nipple on it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by