Tips of comb are blue

AbiandAmi

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Queensland, Australia
Hi all
I have 2 ex battery hens (got them just over a week ago) yesterday i noticed that the comb of one of them is going blue on the tips . It is winter where I am but still gets up to about 24 degrees cecluis in the day so it isnt freezing at all. I am still bringing them inside at night to be safe. The one with the blue comb hasnt laid an egg in about 3 days however she laid an egg practically every day before that. I am wondering if I should be concerened??? I put some vaseline on the comb this morning to try and protect it from the cold if that is what is going on. The other hen seems fine and is still laying.

Has her skin colour changed at all? id so she could be having heart problems. it could also be stress and that weather isn't cold enough to be frost bite or anything.

Her skin hasn't changed colour but her egg shells are really light almost white. But her feathers are a much lighter brown than the others who lay darker brown eggs. Could this mean anything?

unlikely, unless she is near moult/moulting then her feathers should be shiny. her eggs could be any colours and white shouldn't be a reason. maybe she was having circulation or stress problems, im not sure. if you are worried about the eggs try worming her and then give her more calcium via grit, cheese or meat etc

Back
Top Bottom