Tips on eating button quail eggs

fishforbrains

Songster
8 Years
Oct 4, 2015
Yeah, they are tiny, but since we are getting 70-100 per week I figured we might as well eat them. After much trial and error:
about 10 button eggs equals a medium-sized chicken egg, figure 15 or so for a large chicken egg. They are great for cutting recipes down. For example, my favorite pancake recipe calls for one large chicken egg to make 12 pancakes. Since I usually want to make only 2 pancakes, it's hard to divide one chicken egg by six, but easy enough to add 3 button eggs to the divided-by-six other ingredients.

Buy a pair of quail egg scissors off Amazon for $8. You snip the tip off the egg with the scissors and dump the contents out. No shell fragments, and you can rapidly shell out large numbers of raw eggs for putting in recipes, scrambling, or frying. Boiled button eggs make a terrific high-protein snack and go over well as a party nibble-stick a toothpick through each one and provide salt for dipping. Another great snack or meal starter is to cut thick rings of jalapeno peppers, crack (snip) a button egg into each ring, and bake until the egg sets up. Cute, tasty little poppers.

To boil, place a layer of cold (important) eggs in a pan and cover with about an inch of cold (important) water. Place over high heat and bring to a full boil. For softish almost runny yolks, immediately remove from the heat and dunk the eggs in cold water; 30 seconds longer for a set but not hard yolk; and 1 minute for a hard yolk. Next, place the eggs in vinegar in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours. The shell will completely dissolve- no need to peel them. Rinse them off and store in cold water for up to a week. Don't leave them in the vinegar for longer than 6 hours or they will start to pickle. I keep a pan of boiled de-shelled eggs in the fridge and just grab a few whenever I want a healthy snack.

anyone else ventured into eating tiny?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind for when my buttons start laying again ^^
Haven't tried eating their eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom