tips on hatching in an egg carton.

I don't think its a good idea. I think some people do it, but in my opinion, it would be difficult for the chicks to get out of the shell. But, if you decide to do it, here is one tip/precaution: Make sure that the large end of each egg in the carton points up. Not only will that make it easier for the chicks to hatch, but it prevents the air cell from being messed up, too.

Well, good luck with your hatch!

punch some holes for ventilation and they work fine for the first 18 days. take them out of the cartons when you quit turning for lockdown. if your hatching shipped eggs they are great for keeping the air cells where they are supposed to be.

I have always hatched in a cardboard egg carton with the bottoms removed. In my opinion it works great and it keeps the bator a little cleaner. Last hatch was 100% and my others have been between 90-95% hatch rates..

I'm so glad to here this because I just set my Cochin Bantam eggs this very same way literally minutes ago. This is my first time hatching chicken eggs.
smile.png

I did this 1/2 in a ventilated carton and 1/2 laying down last hatch. I had a 50% hatch rate, 6 out of 12 and did not candle, EBay shipped eggs. 3 hatched in the carton and 3 laying down. Only thing I learned was that they could get out of the carton as easily as the ones laying down. None were head down in the egg, that could/would make a difference in survival probably.

I have always hatched in a cardboard egg carton with the bottoms removed. In my opinion it works great and it keeps the bator a little cleaner. Last hatch was 100% and my others have been between 90-95% hatch rates..
Well then, I'm wrong. I've never tried hatching in an egg carton before, so I was really just guessing as to what could happen.

I have just had 7 from 7 hatch out in this way. It was my first time using this method but I think I'll do it again. I went to bed last night with only 2 externally pipped and woke up to find all these little fluffy bums running around in there!
jumpy.gif
The reason I tried it in the first place was because I have seen egg soccer going on in there before and this way no-one gets bumped around. They all managed to get out just fine and are all healthy, strong little chicks!

Back
Top Bottom