Tips on how to get welsh harlequin ducklings

Aug 17, 2019
Middle of North Carolina
So to get the I rather want to get eggs or get young ones. Which ones should I get. Should I order them online and get them shipped? I live in mid North Carolina. Are there any farms near me that could sell those. Also give me any info on welsh harlequins. Thanks in advance

Duckworth

Songster
May 15, 2017
U.S. Prairie
I keep a small flock of female WH. I got mine through a special order from our local feed store and from a local farm. You can look online for hatcheries that breed them.

I have been very happy with this breed. They are pretty good layers, especially when younger. They are generally quiet, which is good for me being in a neighborhood. They are not easily upset or disturbed. Mine are not unfriendly. The ones I reared from day-old ducklings are less leery of me than the adults I got a few months ago. None of them enjoy being handled, but all of them will tolerate it. I just have to have a very calm demeanor. I don't handle them if I don't have to, just because they don't really like it. If I wanted them to be more "friendly," I could win them over in time by hand-feeding treats, but I'm happy with them the way they are.

They are entertaining to interact with and to watch. All have been really healthy except for when a raccoon got into their pen and killed one and injured the rest. All of the ones still living survived and recovered, but the most injured hasn't resumed laying. That's why I added to the flock. We rely on the eggs because my husband is allergic to chicken eggs.

I would absolutely get WH again.

Duckie doodle

Songster
Jun 27, 2019
NY
I have a Welsh Harlequin pair absolutely love them. They are one of the quieter breeds that I have. Question is do you want to show or mainly just as a pet? My 2 wh came from a breeder that shows the breed so they are gold standard.

Top Bottom