Tips on how to inject Tylan 50 into 3-4 week old chicks?

eggfooyoung

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Seems I might have a contagious respiratory illness going on with one of my chicks. I've gotten a lot of help from a local woman about how to treat, but I'm scared poopless about injecting anything into my chicks. I'm also not sure what size needle I should be using, either. So here are my questions:

1. Can Tylan 50 be given orally? If so, dosage and... how?

2. What are your best tips on how to administer via injection?

Thanks!

Seems I might have a contagious respiratory illness going on with one of my chicks. I've gotten a lot of help from a local woman about how to treat, but I'm scared poopless about injecting anything into my chicks. I'm also not sure what size needle I should be using, either. So here are my questions:

1. Can Tylan 50 be given orally? If so, dosage and... how?

2. What are your best tips on how to administer via injection?

Thanks!
Give it orally at least 2 times a day. How much does your chick weigh?

Give it orally at least 2 times a day. How much does your chick weigh?

No idea yet. I've YouTube'd how to inject, I've read how to give orally. Seems the syringe would be far too large (it's a small one) to administer orally and do it accurately. I did buy 20 gauge needles just in case, but I'd rather not have to inject it. The link to the previous thread was insanely helpful, but I'm still concerned about administering it, regardless of orally or injected.

No idea yet. I've YouTube'd how to inject, I've read how to give orally. Seems the syringe would be far too large (it's a small one) to administer orally and do it accurately. I did buy 20 gauge needles just in case, but I'd rather not have to inject it. The link to the previous thread was insanely helpful, but I'm still concerned about administering it, regardless of orally or injected.
Orally or by injection, it must be given at least twice a day based on weight. How big is your syringe?

Orally or by injection, it must be given at least twice a day based on weight. How big is your syringe?

The chick is 2.96 ounces. The syringe holds up to 3ml. It's the smallest that TSC had, but being that the chick is so small, I don't feel confident that I'd be able to get the meds into her crop. The needles are 20 gauge.

I would avoid injecting the Tylan 50, just because the chick is so young and small. Ideally, it should be injected 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle, and chicks do not have enough muscle tissue. It is thick, so a 20 gauge needle is needed just to withdraw it from the vial. I would skip injections, and give it orally at least 0.25 ml twice a day for 5 days. Give a drop at a time, letting it swallow. Tylan is safe and you could even use 0.50 twice a day.

I would avoid injecting the Tylan 50, just because the chick is so young and small. Ideally, it should be injected 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle, and chicks do not have enough muscle tissue. It is thick, so a 20 gauge needle is needed just to withdraw it from the vial. I would skip injections, and give it orally at least 0.25 ml twice a day for 5 days. Give a drop at a time, letting it swallow. Tylan is safe and you could even use 0.50 twice a day.

So @Eggcessive - I can just give it drops in the mouth as if I'm giving it a direct dose of Nutridench and it'll swallow it like that? What you stated is exactly why I didn't want to inject it. She's a tiny thing. I thought about doing it subcutaneously at the neck but heard that you have to move the injection spot around so they don't get very sore, but I don't think there would be another spot to stick her in. So .25ml - .50ml twice a day? EDITED TO ADD: I have 3 other chicks in the same brooder. None are showing any signs of illness. Do I need to treat them as well - or wait to see if they show any signs?

Back
Top Bottom