Tips on incubation

josh59

Songster
Nov 20, 2018
Box Elder South Dakota
So I just purchased 25 Easter egger hatching eggs from Meyer hatchery and they will be here in 10 days. This will be my fourth incubation and my hatch rates have improved but are still bad. Since these eggs cost a pretty penny i was hoping for some tips. I use the Little Giant incubator from the Miller manufacturing company and the temp i use is 99.5 with humidity of 50 for the first 18 days. I use a second temp/humidity gauge, i place it on the egg Turner next to the eggs. I read that it's best to not candle for the first 10 days, so i will be doing that. Any other tips or tricks?

I have just a quick question before I give some tips: Is there a specific reason you ordered hatching eggs opposed to chicks? I’m just asking as I feel like it saves me a lot of time, money, and trouble, but I understand that some people just like doing so!

When the eggs come in, I would let them “settle” for a couple days with the pointy end of them down. This will help the air cell hopefully move back into place if there was much jarring during shipping.

You sound like you know a little about incubation, and your procedure sounds good. I like to candle mine sooner than 10 days, but shipped eggs seem to be a little more sensitive that those we obtain at home.

Another important thing is the incubator style. Is it a still air or fan circulated? Still air incubators typically require a degree or two higher (101.5°F) whereas Dan circulated incubators need to stay around 99.5°F.

I have just a quick question before I give some tips: Is there a specific reason you ordered hatching eggs opposed to chicks? I’m just asking as I feel like it saves me a lot of time, money, and trouble, but I understand that some people just like doing so!

When the eggs come in, I would let them “settle” for a couple days with the pointy end of them down. This will help the air cell hopefully move back into place if there was much jarring during shipping.

You sound like you know a little about incubation, and your procedure sounds good. I like to candle mine sooner than 10 days, but shipped eggs seem to be a little more sensitive that those we obtain at home.

Another important thing is the incubator style. Is it a still air or fan circulated? Still air incubators typically require a degree or two higher (101.5°F) whereas Dan circulated incubators need to stay around 99.5°F.
I considered just ordering chicks, but i enjoy the process of incubating them too much lol I want to try and improve my incubation skills so I can start possibly selling chicks. I bought the automatic egg Turner and fan attachment so it's fan circulated.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Shipped eggs are always a gamble. You would do better practicing on cheap mixed eggs you can find local.

Back
Top Bottom