Tips on killing?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AlbionWood, Nov 19, 2010.

1. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    It's time to do the deed... looking for tips and techniques to make catching and killing easier. My chicken-killing techniques are probably not going to scale up too well, for one thing the cones are way too small! So, any tips, or pointers to threads where this has been discussed? Mainly concerned with getting them caught, controlling those wings and feet, and keeping them calm before the kill.

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    hold over a plastic barrel by the feet, have the person who does the deed hold the head and slit throat.
    drop in barrel and walk away for 5 minutes, by then it should stop kicking.

I can get 2 large toms in the barrel at one time

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We use a feed bag and cut the corner out so just the head and neck will fit thru, tie the legs together and use a the axe and chopping block methed.

Steve

4. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Somebody posted this video. I think it helps. and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqWjuNaWbg

I
    don't have a cone big enough. You can use a strong feed bag. My turkeys are easy to catch. Especially if they are hungry. I have removed the food from everyone. I like them to stay in there own pen rather than cage them and making them panic. I do have a zip tie for there feet. I also hang them upside down with the bag. Sometimes duck tape comes in handy. I don't like to cut the head off. I do a brain shot then bleed them.

I am going to try dry plucking, but I will have water heated just in case it does not work. I don't like lifting a heavy bird out of the scalding water.

I am not looking foreword to this. I am sure I will enjoy eating though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. DCS

DCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    Last year, I hit them on the head with a wrench to stun them, then put a slipknot around the feet and hoisted them up a little, slit their throats and walked away. I dry pluck them, as it's much easier than with chickens. Hanging them to kill and bleed tends to be much neater in my experience than some other methods.

I think this year, I'm going to try the Martha Stewart technique and just get them drunk rather than use the wrench. (My sister was visiting to help, and she dubbed the wrench, a rusted old thing, "Orchrist, the Gobbler-Cleaver")

6. MovieFanz

Sep 14, 2010
    I think that is a great idea. I think I take a few shots myself with my old friend.

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    We duct tape the feet together and also tape around the wings. Then we hang on the fence in a feedsack and garbage can. DH slits the throat w/a sharp filet knife. When the bird has bled out, then DH cuts off the head. We have water heated up to 140 deg and pour it into a plastic container then dip the bird until the wing feathers pull out fairly easily. Then we have sturdy nails pounded into a tree above head level. We hang the feet on the nail and pluck into a feedsack in a garbage can. The bird is about eye level, so arms don't get tired. We have found the turks are easier to pluck than the roos. Not sure why, but our hands are always tired while plucking the chickens. It gets better every time we do this. We did 4 turks and 3 roos about a month ago. Took us about 4 hours. The day after Thanksgiving, we will be doing 8 turks and maybe a roo or two. We'll see how long it takes then.

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:LOL LOL I have no experience at this, but as a joke I was going to post, the "Julia Childs" method........... A little splash of wine for the "bird" and a little for me (you). [​IMG]

9. MovieFanz

Sep 14, 2010
    I don't think wine is quick enough. It says Martha uses cognac and bourbon. I think a little wild turkey would do.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We have a friend in Washington state that does the hang on the fence post method. They say it is a thing to see, a turkey hanging on every fence post. lol We have some friends coming on Sunday to process their first turkey. I have no doubt it will be to funny for us and eye opening for them. lol

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by