Tips on live trapping raccoons?

I was trapping coons with one of those rectangular, wire mesh traps, with the one trap door. The guy I was trapping them for (an avid coon hunter) used them to train dogs.

I found they loved those gas station honey buns, the most. What I liked about them was, the honey buns were big enough that I could eat half, then put the other half in the trap.

I stopped after 10 coons. The guy's holding pen got full.

This is something I have done a lot of as a kid and growing up. They do love marshmallows BUT if you have stray cats or a possibility of catching a cat, use bait that cats won’t eat. Tuna and cat food….though are loved by coons can and will possibly attract cats. Canned corn is also another love! In addition to the advice on how to put the bait in there you have already given, give small amounts. Just enough to attract them. And make them work for it. They are very cunning.

I was trapping coons with one of those rectangular, wire mesh traps, with the one trap door. The guy I was trapping them for (an avid coon hunter) used them to train dogs.

I found they loved those gas station honey buns, the most. What I liked about them was, the honey buns were big enough that I could eat half, then put the other half in the trap.

I stopped after 10 coons. The guy's holding pen got full.
Good to know lol, I'll have to pick up something like that when I grab marshmallows and a live trap today. I'll be keeping an eye on Craigslist for a second cage too, but I just want something set up right now
This is something I have done a lot of as a kid and growing up. They do love marshmallows BUT if you have stray cats or a possibility of catching a cat, use bait that cats won’t eat. Tuna and cat food….though are loved by coons can and will possibly attract cats. Canned corn is also another love! In addition to the advice on how to put the bait in there you have already given, give small amounts. Just enough to attract them. And make them work for it. They are very cunning.
Thank you, sounds good

One tip for the live trap:
Sometimes raccoons will purposely avoid the trip plate in the center of the trap. Whether they don't like the look of it or they suspect it's not good footing, I don't know. But if you just run a stick or an iron bar or something similar through the bars of the live trap right in front of the trip plate, it makes it so he doesn't really have a choice and has to step on the trip plate.

Bait can be hung by a wire in the trap, so it's unavailable without going in and hitting the trip plate. Also, a large raccoon needs the larger trap; consider getting two traps. our local hardware rental place would rent a bigger one out, so ask.
Remember that raccoon poo is very dangerous to humans, dispose of it in bags in the trash. And raccoons can carry rabies and canine distemper, and Leptospirosos, at least. Wear gloves, be safe.
Have a secure night time coop!!!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom