Tips on run area so far?

Candimom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
I am getting my chickens in about a week after this coop is done, but had some questions.
This is the area we have set aside for a run...

In my city, we can only have 2 hens. I had thought about letting them roam the yard when I'm home, but I have this gate that is a problem....

Do you think that they wold be fine and dandy in the run area without being let into the yard? Or is there a quick fix for my gate problem?

And also, this is the unfinished coop (don't worry its getting fixed and finished very soon), and we plan to cage the bottom in case I need them somewhere protected while I leave during the day....

Any thoughts? And remember, this is only for 2 hens. :)

Fred's correct. The only way to make the yard secure that I can see would be to attach a wire apron on your gate. I assume that would be an eyesore and I'm not sure what you would do when the gate needs to be opened. On the plus side, less mowing.

You will find on here that most BYCers recommend that you have 10square ft per bird in a run. What space you are showing in the pics looks like more than enough and would be fine to leave them in all day as they will return to the coop to lay and roost. I personally would only let them out occasionally an hour or two before dark when I was home and can watch them. Take note as to what Fred said about making holes. I'm sure you don't want your all yard full of holes and chicken scratch.
Enjoy your birds your gonna love them and wish you could get more, they are very addicting
smile.png

I throw a little three grain scratch on the ground daily so they keep it tilled so to speak and it doesn't clump with poop. Helps with keeping things cleaner and more time between coop and run cleanings.

If all you feed is the commercial, prepared feeds, no grit is necessary.

If you feed table scraps, occasional scratch, grains, and so forth, a little grit tossed out would be a great thing. It's not like that can go find enough pebbles and sand on their own when they are confined to a run. It's OK. They'll pick up any grit you give them, as they sense they need it.

Back
Top Bottom