Tips on taming/socializing chicks

ksato003

Songster
Jun 5, 2021
I’ve read different things about handling chicks to raise them to be people-friendly. Our chickens will be backyard family pets and while I know they all have their own personalities, i want to give them the best chance to know us and not fear us. Maybe even let us hold them, my kids too when they get a bit older.

I heard for the first 24 hrs after you bring them home to ignore them and let them settle so they can decompress a little. What about after that?How often should you handle/sit with/chat with them after that? Once a day? More? What are the chicken whisperer ways to raising chickens who let you cuddle them …. Do tell :)

I haven't figured out how to cuddle them yet, but I managed to tame my last batch through treats. If you sit with them long enough (on the floor) they will climb all over you in no time.... and then maybe you can work on the cuddling from there :D
Can’t wait for them to trust me enough to climb all over me 🥳 oh shoot… that means poop all over me too, huh… lol

Can’t wait for them to trust me enough to climb all over me 🥳 oh shoot… that means poop all over me too, huh… lol
I'm working on taming my broody chicks to be lap chickens too, only because I won't be keeping them. I'm not a fan of having grown chickens jumping on me - it hurts!

It definitely helps to handle them while, or before giving them food. You can take away the food when they sleep at night, and bring it to them in the morning. You can have them eat breakfast (and poop) in your lap etc. before leaving the chick feed out for them for the rest of the day. That way they will always be excited to see you in the mornings!

Hello kasato003,
I am so happy for you. Chickens are great and depending on the breed they can be very social. My experience comes from raising 14 hens and one roster since babies (mail order chicks). We have six barred rocks, three Jersey Giants, four Asterlops, and one Faverolle. We have had them since April 2020. Though, Roster is no longer with us (he was ill). I do spend a ton of time with them, hand feed them treats, talk to them, sing and listen to music with them, and have been carrying them all since babies. I did have to hold a few until they got used to the idea. All of the barred rocks come up to me and either jump up to my arms or shoulders, or lean on me, so I can pick them up. We are always calm around them and they have become used to us as if we were part of the flock. Get breeds that are social kid & friendly, and spend time with them. I hope this helps you, and I look forward to reading other people's comments on their experiences and breeds.

Hello kasato003,
I am so happy for you. Chickens are great and depending on the breed they can be very social. My experience comes from raising 14 hens and one roster since babies (mail order chicks). We have six barred rocks, three Jersey Giants, four Asterlops, and one Faverolle. We have had them since April 2020. Though, Roster is no longer with us (he was ill). I do spend a ton of time with them, hand feed them treats, talk to them, sing and listen to music with them, and have been carrying them all since babies. I did have to hold a few until they got used to the idea. All of the barred rocks come up to me and either jump up to my arms or shoulders, or lean on me, so I can pick them up. We are always calm around them and they have become used to us as if we were part of the flock. Get breeds that are social kid & friendly, and spend time with them. I hope this helps you, and I look forward to reading other people's comments on their experiences and breeds.
We’ve ordered: a buff orpington, silver laced Orpington, welsummer and 2 EE’s. I chose them for personality as well as a mixed color egg basket .. and as for the silver laced Orpington… just intrigued by the beauty of them. No bantams bc although I hear they are great for kids… I want large eggs lol. Any opinions on those breeds?

Those beeds sound great and so beautiful. I understand that they are very friendly and sociable too. Big thing is patience and spending time with them and making them feel good and safe when you hold them. They might struggle with you. Just hold firm but gentle, talk and whisper to them and occasionally hand feed treats like meal worms. They will start trusting more and more. They will sense your calmness and will warm up to you all. Squat down with them and scratch the ground mimic them and if you find a worm feed it to them (just don't eat it yourself.. Lol). I'm sure you will love them so much and they will love you back. Best of all they are pets who give you great breakfast!!! 😉

No bantams?! We all adore our bantams - much more than our big chickens. Even my husband, who will tell you he's not a bird person, likes our bantams. 🤣 My bantam Wyandottes at 7 years old put their larger counterparts to shame with the amount of eggs they pump out over spring and summer. Their eggs are the perfect size for egg washes on pastry and homemade bread and I really miss my bantam eggs at the moment (it's winter at my end of the world).

Get your chicks out in the bathroom (easiest place for clean-up because there will be poop - lots of poop - stock up on baby wipes) and sit and interact with them there. I'd do it from around 3 days old as long as everyone is looking chirpy and recovered from being shipped to you. Don't have them out for too long initially as they start to chill quite quickly, but you can slowly work up to longer play sessions. I put out a little dish of treats (budgie seed) but don't really hand feed them much. When they are older you don't want them expecting treats every time you step out the door.

Don't ignore them when they first get to you - you need to observe them often to quickly pick up on anyone going downhill health wise. But I'd leave them to rest and recover as much as possible.

Just be aware that large chickens can be brutal when they eat out of your hands when they are adults. My Orpingtons just about peck holes in my hand when I hand feed treats. Our son refuses to feed them from his hands because of this (I can't say I blame him either).

Enjoy your new babies.

No bantams?! We all adore our bantams - much more than our big chickens. Even my husband, who will tell you he's not a bird person, likes our bantams. 🤣 My bantam Wyandottes at 7 years old put their larger counterparts to shame with the amount of eggs they pump out over spring and summer. Their eggs are the perfect size for egg washes on pastry and homemade bread and I really miss my bantam eggs at the moment (it's winter at my end of the world).

Get your chicks out in the bathroom (easiest place for clean-up because there will be poop - lots of poop - stock up on baby wipes) and sit and interact with them there. I'd do it from around 3 days old as long as everyone is looking chirpy and recovered from being shipped to you. Don't have them out for too long initially as they start to chill quite quickly, but you can slowly work up to longer play sessions. I put out a little dish of treats (budgie seed) but don't really hand feed them much. When they are older you don't want them expecting treats every time you step out the door.

Don't ignore them when they first get to you - you need to observe them often to quickly pick up on anyone going downhill health wise. But I'd leave them to rest and recover as much as possible.

Just be aware that large chickens can be brutal when they eat out of your hands when they are adults. My Orpingtons just about peck holes in my hand when I hand feed treats. Our son refuses to feed them from his hands because of this (I can't say I blame him either).

Enjoy your new babies.
This is all wonderful advice, thank you! Maybe a bantam down the road 🥰 yknow, chicken math…

Back
Top Bottom