Tips on taming/socializing chicks

What timing, this one just decided to climb all over me 😂

Jumped on my hand and made its way up to my shoulder. even posed for the selfie!

Definitely a roo...

99318AA5-4B66-4B8D-86C3-564B108D540B.jpeg

I'm so frustrated and sad. Mine are going on 3 weeks and are still skittish. They'll walk near me but freak when I pick them up. I talk to constantly in a sweet voice but to no avail. Mine are 2 each of blue rocks and barnies. Is there still hope?

I’ve read different things about handling chicks to raise them to be people-friendly. Our chickens will be backyard family pets and while I know they all have their own personalities, i want to give them the best chance to know us and not fear us. Maybe even let us hold them, my kids too when they get a bit older.

I heard for the first 24 hrs after you bring them home to ignore them and let them settle so they can decompress a little. What about after that?How often should you handle/sit with/chat with them after that? Once a day? More? What are the chicken whisperer ways to raising chickens who let you cuddle them …. Do tell :)
Here's an awesome article on the topic: How To Tame Chickens from the Start and here's a video summary below:

I'm so frustrated and sad. Mine are going on 3 weeks and are still skittish. They'll walk near me but freak when I pick them up. I talk to constantly in a sweet voice but to no avail. Mine are 2 each of blue rocks and barnies. Is there still hope?
My chickens are as skittish today as the day I brought them home. Some chickens will bond with humans better than others.Depends on their personality. Fact: Most chickens don't like being held or picked up. They'll chase you for treats an dattention but run the minute you try to pick them up they run in the opposite direction.Been around chickens all my life and one thing I can tell you is they aren't like cats and dogs.I still love them just as much as my cats and dogs but accept they are just naturally more skittish.

Yes I'll just have to accept it I guess. I'm just so envious of folks I've seen on YouTube that have cuddly lap chickens lol. I still love them dearly, that will never change. :love:love🐔🐔🐔

Back
Top Bottom