Tips on ventilation and cleaning this coop.

Pics
Just curious: why do they need to be bigger? Just to hold the litter inside the coop? Chickens won't be walking around in it too often and will be on roosts at night.
Is there something I can look for to make sure they are still holding sturdy?

A 2x2 has very little room on the ends for fasteners. Can you tell how many screws are in the ends?

It also looks like they are screwed from underneath into the plywood. Are there any sharp points poking through to the top? If your plywood is 1/4" I suspect you will see sharp points. Those will wear on any vinyl you lay down ad also pose a hazard to chicken feet.....or knees if/when you have to go in there.

A 2x2 has very little room on the ends for fasteners. Can you tell how many screws are in the ends?

It also looks like they are screwed from underneath into the plywood. Are there any sharp points poking through to the top? If your plywood is 1/4" I suspect you will see sharp points. Those will wear on any vinyl you lay down ad also pose a hazard to chicken feet.....or knees if/when you have to go in there.

I'll check tomorrow; I didn't notice any points so maybe the plywood is thicker than I think.

Here's a picture of the side beam/side of plywood. He said he used 3/8" or 1/2" plywood. He picked one that wasn't super expensive but still sturdy enough, his words.
Sorry, didn't get a picture of/count the ends @21hens-incharge

Picture of (mostly) finished run! I still need to tie the HWC and chicken wire together with metal twine and eventually I'll do an apron and attach it to the bottoms of the run.

Attachments

• PXL_20231003_170008090.jpg
    PXL_20231003_170008090.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20231003_170024138.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231003_170024138.MP.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231003_195040315.jpg
    PXL_20231003_195040315.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 7
Here's a picture of the side beam/side of plywood. He said he used 3/8" or 1/2" plywood. He picked one that wasn't super expensive but still sturdy enough, his words.
Sorry, didn't get a picture of/count the ends @21hens-incharge

Picture of (mostly) finished run! I still need to tie the HWC and chicken wire together with metal twine and eventually I'll do an apron and attach it to the bottoms of the run.

Your first 2 pics show there is one screw per 2x2 holding them in.

The plywood looks like 3/8" so slightly thicker than 1/4 but not as thick as 1/2".

Back
Top Bottom