Tips on ventilation and cleaning this coop.

I use a piece of smooth cheap plastic floor runner under my roost at nite as a poop tray. Just slide it out in the morning, wash it off and slide it back in a nite. Poop slides right off and half a bucket of water cleans it, quick and easy. In the winter when it's below freezing the poop freezes on it and just pops right off, I don't even have to wash as often. Not sure if that might work for your situation but it's an inexpensive option and can be cut to fit into most spaces.
I use two washing machine drain trays the same way with PDZ on them. 5 minute clean up with a cat litter scoop. Easy peasy.

Build an awning over your large opening to make up for your lack of overhang. When we built my coop we did not make hardly any overhang, so my husband built awnings over all the openings, door, windows, etc. I'm sorry, I was in a hurry and should have broken it up more. The car reference pertained to your question about putting a bunch of holes up top for ventilation.

Ahhh ok that makes sense. Thanks!

I use two washing machine drain trays the same way with PDZ on them. 5 minute clean up with a cat litter scoop. Easy peasy.

I'm going to try deep litter for now; my roosts will be straight across the back and not the easiest to get to every day so I'm going to try just using woodchips on the floor for now and see if that works.

I'm going to try deep litter for now; my roosts will be straight across the back and not the easiest to get to every day so I'm going to try just using woodchips on the floor for now and see if that works.
You can't do deep litter, that requires moisture and a dirt floor, you can do deep bedding which is basically adding whatever substrate you choose to the bottom of your coop (it breaks down over time) and making sure it gets turned, occasionally adding more (I throw pine shavings in and a small handful of scratch and my ladies do the mixing) I completely remove it and throw it into the run to compost every spring and fall. Rinse and repeat

You can't do deep litter, that requires moisture and a dirt floor, you can do deep bedding which is basically adding whatever substrate you choose to the bottom of your coop (it breaks down over time) and making sure it gets turned, occasionally adding more (I throw pine shavings in and a small handful of scratch and my ladies do the mixing) I completely remove it and throw it into the run to compost every spring and fall. Rinse and repeat
yes that's what I meant; didn't realize they were different terms, so much to learn!

Here is our coop so far. Plan is to put a roof on with ventilation at the top but I'm not completely sure how much we will have. Any other easy way to make sure there's enough ventilation?

Also plan is to have a hinged door on the side (hence the open side) with nest boxes attached that opens up. Then a slide out tray for cleaning.
Does this seem doable and a good idea? I'm still trying to decide if I should do the sand stuff (pdz?) All on the bottom or just do deep bedding.
The whole thing is 6x6 and I'm a little worried about being able to get to the other side to clean.
Always eggciting having a new build 💕

Is there a reason for those zigzag floor joists? I would redo those straight across on 16” centres, that way your flooring will be properly supported. Plywood is 4x8 and fits perfectly on boards that are on 16” centres.

I love the idea of your nestboxes being able to open on the outside. As for sand, I can’t speak to that.

There is copious amounts of info on ventilation, and having it at the roof is a great idea, being in SC I wouldn’t think it gets very cold there so winter likely isn’t your worrisome time like summer would be. And would plan for shade on the south and west sides and the sides open to as much air flow as possible for those hot summer months.

I have found chickens can handle cold better than heat.

Sorry I think I have repeated some of the ideas others have pointed out. I haven’t read all the replies but having some knowledge about proper construction methods is needed, and will help you figure out how much material you will need. There is no shortage of YouTube videos on how to build things (gosh I love YouTube!).

Here are some construction pointers (you said you weren’t builders); your friend who is building is not doing the floor joists correctly, you should use 2x6 boards as using 2x4 boards at a 6’ span will mean that the flooring is over spanned and will sag.

The studs should be placed every 16” so for 6’ you will need at least 6 boards to create the floor across - an additional couple boards for the ends.

The walls can be on 24” centres, and you should be fine with 2x4 boards; but again the roof should be on 16” centres, and if you are putting in a gable type roof you can use 2x4 boards, but if you are thinking a shed roof again you will need 2x6 boards so you are not over spanned.

I would do some research and watch a bunch of you tube videos on building sheds and coops.

Gosh - so eggciting building new things 😊 I am so eggcited for you, and now I am all motivated to do some renovations myself haha!

💕

Back
Top Bottom