Tips on working with a mean 2 year old rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Folly's place

Yikes!! Okay, I guess I need to just get on board with my husband on making our rooster into chicken stock. Rats. I was hoping I could continue his line, but I don’t want to risk passing his aggressive gene if that’s the cause for it.

Now that you have mature hens, start some chicks this spring, and let them help raise a few cockerels. You have more experience, and they can help squelch idiot adolescent behaviors, and one of the cockerels might just be the right guy for your flock.
I used to try to reform difficult cockerels, and have given it up. Human aggressive birds just aren't worth it, and those little chicken brains can only do so much.
Mary

Thank you everyone!

I guess I kinda already knew the answer. I was just holding on to some hope for a miracle story.

His days are numbered.

The best way to a rooster's heart is through his stomach. I prefer the Buddy Buddy method as opposed to the "I'm the boss, you're the rooster.... respect my AUTHORITAY!". Get some treats and get him to get used to you, hand feed him for awhile and the little devil will turn into an angel soon enough. Wait til he gets comfortable enough around your presence then pick him up every time treat has arrived. He'll learn to associate you with goodies, you'll be golden soon enough.

Oh I have a three other roosters apart from him. And they are all wonderful. It’s just him who is an aggressive beast.

I am actually on day two of incubating 23 eggs. I know the hatching rate is never 100%.

@Folly's place

Yikes!! Okay, I guess I need to just get on board with my husband on making our rooster into chicken stock. Rats. I was hoping I could continue his line, but I don’t want to risk passing his aggressive gene if that’s the cause for it.
There is no aggressive gene that's been identified yet. Aggression is far to complex a matter to be dismissed as something genetic. If you're planning on keeping roosters at all then deal with this one. The constant round of kill and replace until one gets a 'good' one isn't the way forward.
Lots of posts on this forum and others talking about aggressive roosters. It's not until page whatever you find out the behaviour the poster is describing isn't actually aggressive at all.
This article will help you decide if his behaviour is in reality full out aggression or something else.
In general my advice to anyone with children involved in chicken keeping who get to such a point they are seeking opinions on a forum about roosters is to get rid of the one they have and don't get any more.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

There is no aggressive gene that's been identified yet. Aggression is far to complex a matter to be dismissed as something genetic. If you're planning on keeping roosters at all then deal with this one. The constant round of kill and replace until one gets a 'good' one isn't the way forward.
Lots of posts on this forum and others talking about aggressive roosters. It's not until page whatever you find out the behaviour the poster is describing isn't actually aggressive at all.
This article will help you decide if his behaviour is in reality full out aggression or something else.
In general my advice to anyone with children involved in chicken keeping who get to such a point they are seeking opinions on a forum about roosters is to get rid of the one they have and don't get any more.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Thanks I’ll check out the forum. Like I said, I have 3 other roosters that are awesome. I think this one may not be as friendly due to being my first rooster and I didn’t handle him at all as a chick. He’s been tamed before and we give lots of treats, but I guess it’s just not working out. I have my chickens as dual purpose, meat and eggs, only my roosters are pets. My chickens will all eventually be food. But I guess this rooster may also be on the menu.

In over 5 years on this site the best advice I EVER GOT and have taken to heart was "don't keep a mean rooster when there are so many good ones looking for a home".
Post on craigslist that you need a gentle rooster to have as a pet. There are plenty of people with nice roos waiting to answer your ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom