Tips to adding new chicks to pre existing flock

DolceVita

Songster
Apr 29, 2019
Spartanburg,SC
I currently have 3 black stars (3 years old) and they hate new birds. I’m getting on Saturday 3 2 week old hopefully female chicks. ( 2 Orpingtons and 1 Cochin). I plan not to even mix the 2 groups because the black stars are independent. BUT what should I do to ensure the safety of the new and old birds. Can disease become an issue? I’m getting them from a well known breader and have had a good past history. Any tips will be greatly appreciated! Also does anyone have a coop design for big ole birds like Cochins and Orpingtons?
Thank y’all

What I do, & it always works out is, I grow them up so they'd be half the size of the adult birds, & put the whole group into the coop at once.
These guys I put in the coop today with older birds, I think they're 3 months old now.
20200604_145324.jpg
20200604_145350.jpg

Hi DolceV,
You should quarantine your new birds, keep them separate for a few weeks. Watch your chicks for any problems.
What is your setup now? Do you have an enclosed run or do you free range?
With new chicks it's a good idea to "introduce" the soil from the property to them to build up their immunity. I will bring them a clump of grass, roots and all, or take them out in a small tractor to scratch around. I agree with MC, once they get big enough you could blend the flock, or keep separate, it's up to you.

Hi DolceV,
You should quarantine your new birds, keep them separate for a few weeks. Watch your chicks for any problems.
What is your setup now? Do you have an enclosed run or do you free range?
With new chicks it's a good idea to "introduce" the soil from the property to them to build up their immunity. I will bring them a clump of grass, roots and all, or take them out in a small tractor to scratch around. I agree with MC, once they get big enough you could blend the flock, or keep separate, it's up to you.
The current ones are not free run. I let them out for an hour or two and put them back up

Back
Top Bottom