1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tips

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Daisy9696, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Daisy9696

Daisy9696 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Minnesota
    Does anyone have any tips for a beginning fowl and chicken raiser? I had chickens two year ago, but am getting into it again. Wanted to know if anybody had tips! Also what are some common or popular breeds to raise that will get you noticed at shows? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you want good, no-nonsense chicken raising tips and advice, I would suggest this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...l-up-a-rockin-chair-and-lay-some-wisdom-on-us

There is alot to muddle through, but there is also very, very good, educational information to be found there. There are a few breeders on that site that might be willing to give you some ideas on show breeds. (Unless you want some foo-foo type breeds.) Another place to go would be in the emergencies section on the Road Less Traveled thread. Lots of good info there, too, on natural chicken keeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by